Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siefer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2003
Now that my decision to buy an iBook G4 800 has finalized, I have a few other questions concerning it:

-What is a good wireless router that I can purchase that will go through a pc first, and then to two iBooks on airport cards? (Extreme and regular). Ideally, I'd like it to be around the $100 price range, and not too difficult to set up.

-Is a sleeve really necessary to protect my iBook? If so, what does anyone recommend as a reasonbly priced, and attractive sleeve?

-Where is a good place to buy ram for my new iBook? I've heard that Panther is more sensitive than Jaguar in terms of the ram it accepts, which is why I'm a bit hesitant. I've bought my previous ram upgrade to my older iBook at http://www.transintl.com and have been fairly pleased with it (good price at the time too).

-I'm pretty sure it is, but just to make sure: Is it possible to use my old iBook's original airport card as a base station (software base station) and than network the AE card to it? Likewise, it's possible to connect to an 802.11b network with the Extreme card right?

-There is a way to mirror the display from the iBook to a tv, correct? How would I do this to a composite tv? (I'm guessing it's composite, it's the yellow, white and red plugs). No S-Video on the tv. What adaptors, wires, etc. would I need to buy? General price?

-Finally, how much and where can I get a Torx Screwdriver? (The one that I would need to unscrew the screws in the interior of the iBook for ram upgrades).

Thank you again for all your help and time.

~Siefer

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Questions...

I would suggest getting any 802.11g basestation, either Apple's airport extreme, or routers from other companies such as Netgear.

A good router from Netgear is $129, and most other brands are similarly priced. It has four ethernet ports on the back of it to connect both your wireless and wired machines to it.

It has NAT (to assign IPs to computers on the inside of your network), and MAC address emulation (so you can put your PC's ethernet hardware address into the router so it convinces your broadband modem into thinking that it is talking to your PC instead of a router, if need be.)

If your broadband router does not have an ethernet connection on it, you should be able to get one from your provider that does.

You shouldn't need a torx screwdriver to upgrade the RAM in your ibook.. the early ones had two screws at the top of the keyboard (flat head) and the newer ones I believe have a user access panel on the bottom that would require just a small "regular" screwdriver...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26277 should give you step-by-step instructions to make any repairs or upgrades that you can do yourself to the new machine, otherwise search on Apple's support site for the model of machine you have.

Re: TV ... assuming you're wanting to connect the new iBook to the TV, go to the apple store and click on "cables" under the third party accessories. About 2/3 of the way down, you'll see

Apple AV Cable
$19.00
Need to display to a TV through your iBook's AV port? This cable will allow you to connect your iBook to a large screen television.

and pictured, you will see the three RCA plugs that plug into the jacks you describe on your TV: Yellow for video, Red and white for audio. Match the colors, and you're in business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.