Wireless Router Suggestions???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jackfrost9p, Jul 9, 2009.

1. jackfrost9p macrumors newbie

Hi, I am looking for a Mac friendly wireless router, except I dont want to spend $170 on the Airport Base Station. I have a new Mac Pro that would be wired to the router, and a new ipod touch that I would like to connect wirelessly. I appreciate your help.

Jack

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Do you have the Airport Card in your Mac Pro? If so you could just turn internet sharing on.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have two D-Link's DIR-635s and they work very well with my iMac.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

A Linksys WRT54G will do you well. It is one of the best routers in existence, and very well priced. You don't need a wireless N router because the iPod touch is wireless G. It is only 100mb/s wired, but since you say you only have one computer on your network and I assume your internet connection speed is well under 100mb/s, a gigabit network is overkill.

5. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

6. jackfrost9p thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. I did not get the wireless card, but oh well. I think those router will do fine.

Thanks again.

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I may be a bit late, but I've got the Belkin N+ router and it works great for me.

I've got a Dell XPS 410 and PowerMac G4 hooked up via gigabit ethernet and a Mac mini, Dell Studio 540, iPod Touch, PS3, Wii, and soon a Dell Studio 1537 connected wirelessly.

Setup wasn't too hard either.

8. j5045096 Guest

I use an AirPort Express at my house shared by a MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch. It's been awesome--very easy to use; great signal and I have it set up to stream music from my computer to living room speakers via the audio out (1/8") port on the router. It's like the size of the power brick for a MacBook pro so very tiny -- I take it on trips sometimes to use at hotels that only offer ethernet.

The Time Machines have built in wi-fi too right? If I was to do it all over again I'd probably go for one of those to use as a file storage server but for $99 the AirPort Express has been awesome.

9. 1ne macrumors regular

Cisco AP1252 Wireless N dual radios Autonomous Mode

[​IMG]

This AP is expensive but awesome. Sorry I had to bring this up.

10. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

McAfee UTM firewall.

[​IMG]

the SG565 is an incredible wireless router.