wireless router through ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by officelurker, Apr 21, 2012.

1. officelurker macrumors member

My home has ethernet connections in all rooms through the basement. My Rogers internet modem is in the basement. Eventhough the modem has wifi capability, the wifi signal it produces is too low for upstairs room.

Can I hook up a wireless router by plugging it in one of the upstairs rooms ethernet connection? Any special setup I would have to do on the wireless router?

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

no just plug it in. I do that in my shop there are two routers before mine and I have a airport extreme for the wireless and the wired connections.

3. officelurker thread starter macrumors member

Ok. From the wall jack, do I plug it in the "Internet" port behind the wireless router or in one of the computer ports?

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

internet. then run a cable from the computer port to your computer. that way you only use wireless for what needs it since cable is faster.

5. officelurker thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Should I turn off Auto DHCP on the wireless router upstairs because my modem in the basement also has auto dhcp?

2) should i disable wifi on my internet modem or it doesn't matter?

6. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

that I don't know I have always just left the defaults for my routers but for wireless settings. try it and see. but most likely not. you may have to reboot the mac though

7. officelurker thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your help. Will def will it try and post back here tomorrow

8. iphoneuserinyyz macrumors member

I would suggest that only one of the routers be configured to provide DHCP. The other one would be acting as a wireless access point but should not assign IP addresses (turn DHCP off). You can run the same wireless network name on both routers, but I would suggest that you manually set the channels as far apart as possible to avoid interference (generally channels 1 and 11 for 2 routers, if you are using 2.4 GHz). This will allow your devices to hook into the strongest signal automatically (basement or upstairs), and to switch from one to the other as you move around your home (the efficiency with which they do this varies somewhat between different OS's and devices).