Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixmind80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Hi,

I have the new imac with mac os x 10.4.8, using cable modem, and a linksys wireless-N router, and i also own a pc laptop.

now, i've setup all the cables correctly:
modem->router->all computers( wireless ).

from my mac: the airport is on, router connection detected, but for some reason it's showing very weak signal even though the rooms are side-by-side.
then when i open firefox or any other browsers, i still can't connect to the internet? is there anything i need to setup in the browsers?

ps: tcp/ip under airport is already set to DHCP.

thanks

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Hi,

I have the new imac with mac os x 10.4.8, using cable modem, and a linksys wireless-N router, and i also own a pc laptop.

now, i've setup all the cables correctly:
modem->router->all computers( wireless ).

from my mac: the airport is on, router connection detected, but for some reason it's showing very weak signal even though the rooms are side-by-side.
then when i open firefox or any other browsers, i still can't connect to the internet? is there anything i need to setup in the browsers?

ps: tcp/ip under airport is already set to DHCP.

thanks

In terminal, do an 'ipconfig getpacket en1' (probably en1 anyhow) to see if you're actually getting an address from the DHCP server. You're sure the wireless router is serving addresses, right?

If that comes back blank, try 'ipconfig getifaddr en1' which I will guess returns you an internally issued address (169.x.x.x). Which would mean your router is not responding to the DHCP request (most likely).

If you ARE getting an IP address, what does an NSLOOKUP for something like yahoo.com show you? That would also be a clue to point you into the right troubleshooting direction.

Just a couple random thoughts there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.