Wireless Router w/ on/off Function

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cfs123, Aug 13, 2010.

1. cfs123 macrumors regular

Hello Forum,

Is there a wireless router on the market that has an on/off switch where the off switch will not turn off the whole router rendering the wired computer not functional?

I currently use a Netgear. It is awsome but I keep plugging and unplugging internet wires depending on my wireless needs. I am sure some of you may wonder why I just don't leave wifi on all the time. My answer is that it is a personal preference. I don't want to leave wireless on constantly for it's minimal usage.

What I Want

If wired connection imac is off and wireless laptop/ipad/Touch user decides to go online then I wish for a simple button on/off on the router.

Or, if an imac user is wired online via router and wireless user is online, once wireless person is finished I wish for wireless to be turned off and imac user to continue online.

Thanks,

CFS

2. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Linksys WRT-54GL has a simple button on the front for wireless on/off. I don't know if anything that will turn the wireless off once the last client has quit though.

3. cfs123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,

I have one of the Netgears that have this but once you press the off button, the whole modem shuts off so the person using the ethernet loses network connection.

I appreciate the reply.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

The Linksys is a router, not a modem/router. Switching off the wireless on the router doesn't affect the modem, or the wired network in any way. :)

5. cfs123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I will look into it.