Wireless router with a range of 150 yards?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stanley Lyndon, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Stanley Lyndon macrumors member

I don't know much about routers and stuff. But I have a wired ethernet connection that I wish to use 150 yards away, through about 10 walls. And the macbook running Lion should be able to connect to it.

Does such a router exist or is it just a pipe dream?

Thanks.

2. Macman45, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Pipe dream I'm afraid....Even ethernet cabling becomes unreliable at 100 metres.

You could use a range booster, they are quite cheap and a top quality router but the router will cost....And I'm still not sure you will achieve what you want.

Yards....Sorry. With a range booster and a top router you SHOULD be able to do it....Look at products from the likes of Draytek, billion....The top end of these routers are not cheap options but as good one (with aerials....not built in) should max out the range.

Add the booster (or even two) and I think it will work out.

3. simsaladimbamba

150 yards are still 137 metres. Or are there different types of yards?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

DOH! sorry, can't be done 100m maxes out ethernet so my first answer stands.

I must learn metric, I must learn metric:D

5. simsaladimbamba

Is the UK that heavy on the imperial system, even with those small units?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Google homeplug

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm an expat NYC guy, when they changed I never really "Got it" probably because I didn't want to:) I still think in quarts and fifths (gives away age!)

Yep the UK is all metric now...So much so that they fine people for using punds and ounces....Nuts:)

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

A 200mw 802.11b router has a line of sight range of about 1200 meters.

802.11g max range drops to 100 feet.... So stick with 802.11b if you want maximum distance

The typical retail 40mw router will have line of sight range of about 1500 feet with no obstructions.

Cisco 200mw commercial routers will typically reach 2000 feet outdoors.

Engenious Technologies has one of the highest power routers available - though it's pricey.

Walls will diminish the transmission range dramatically..

Antennae design also plays a significant role in distance covered.

Source: www.governmentsecurity.org

9. simsaladimbamba

Ah, those ounces are quite heavy. As long as you didn't gain too much stones ... .

But I can relate, I grew up with metric, which is logical for me, especially with the factor 10. I never really got the imperial system, especially Fahrenheit. But I guess it has to do with one's upbringing.

10. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm afraid the age is the problem....Thank god they didn't change music notation or DB and gain values....That would have been the end of my career:D

12. Stanley Lyndon thread starter macrumors member

lol, what an entertaining thread. Although it was a bit disappointing to know that it can't be done. :)

Thanks anyway!

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did u miss my post?

14. simsaladimbamba

It was a wee bit small. You need to use the Comic Sans font, with pink letters, to actually get attention here.

On a more serious note, do you those homeplugs?

15. hafr macrumors 68030

Until I see proof that someone has been fined for that, I just don't believe you. It's too crazy.

16. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Up to one year after the changeover to metric, market traders who wished to retain market share continued to use the old system:

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/brent&harrow/NEWS-pros.htm#Community4

I can show you many many more.....I know it's nuts, but it's true...I don't do BS:mad:

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Can't be done on a home budget. If you have what it takes, then yes, there are ways, but they will be very expensive. Wifi struggles to get through 2 or 3 walls, so 10 walls over 150 yards is just impossible.

If you have money, then options are:

- lay some optic fibre cable the entire distance
    - get a second broadband connection at the second location - via cable / 3G / satellite / POTS
    - lay 2 or 3 ethernet runs, each covering part of the distance, with a hub / switch at each joint.
    - put a microwave repeater on the roof / use corporate wifi base stations. I'm not sure which country you live in, so these high power stations may be illegal. They also take a lot of work to set up.

I find this hard to believe. I've tested 802.11b routers outside, and not been able to get 500 feet in clear air. This was with special antennae and all. I accept other people more skilled than me might have been able to get that far, but I couldn't.

Eh? They don't seem authoritative. Sorry that looks a bit of a rubbish source, unless you can point me to a specific article.

Wiki gives 460 feet, and other general overviews give as little as 300 feet outdoors. Real-world usable distances may be even shorter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Protocols

Yup the UK issued a few fines for using Imperial measures - to market traders and so on. They were called the Metric Martyrs and there was a bit of a press campaign. After a couple of years, the UK Government 're-read' the relevant EU regulations, and somehow realised that they didn't need to be so stringent. So people aren't fined any more for using imperial measures.

18. hafr macrumors 68030

What does counterfeited goods have to do with it? :)

Crazy. I even lived in the UK during that time, must have missed it completely :) Although there's a difference between being fined for using imperial measures and for not using metric measures. The first sounds more looney than the other :)

19. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

You don't get fined for using imperial , but you do get fined for not using metric, so you are free to show both, just not imperial on its own.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If you would like make further discussion on this matter please take it to the PRSI forum.

Keep on topic please.

21. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Is the 150 yard away place on the same ring main? If so look at a homeplug based wireless extender. I find the Devolo ones work well.

22. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Sorry Olly, I was just trying to clear something up that was being discussed.

I'm not sure what other powerline/homeplug systems ranges are but the Zyxel PLA4215 claim a range of up to 300m. But that all depends on the quality of your wiring and any noise on the line. What you also need to remember is that that is in a straight line, your wiring probably wont be.

23. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

What does counterfeited goods have to do with it?

You miss the point, the goods are not conterift how on the name of earth can you copy a Cauliflower?, Carrot ,etc.

If you would like to read the legal low down, just PM me I will supply you with enough information to keep you going for a while:)

24. Stanley Lyndon thread starter macrumors member

Lol, no I didn't, but it wasn't a solution in my particular case since I need to use it on an adjacent building with a separate power line.

25. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Sounds like a job for fibre then. That won't be cheap.