Wireless router with mobile broadband ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ade Lewis, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Ade Lewis macrumors newbie

Hi,

Is anyone aware of a router (preferably wireless) that will link with a mobile broadband connection ? The mobile broadband connection that I currently have is via a usb modem.

The reason that I want to do this is because I have a Draytel Vigor Talk VIOP modem that I used to plug straight into my Netgear DG834 wireless router and it gave me a permanent VOIP phone regardless of whether my mac was switched on or not. I am now living in a very remote area with no telephone line but would still like to have a permanent VOIP phone rather than a usb skype phone.

Would be very grateful of any suggestions that would help me to achieve this even if they are not along the same lines that I am thinking.

Thanks.

2. kalex macrumors 65816

there are models from linksys, dlink. i think most consumer router makers have at least 1 3G router

3. mobbbi macrumors newbie

Hi Ade

There are indeed several manufacturers that produce 3G capable routers. This article on our blog may help.

Regards
    mobilebroadbandinfo.co.uk

4. Ade Lewis thread starter macrumors newbie

Found Solution

Thanks very much for your replies.

After much research I think that I have found the answer.

I think that I will need to purchase:-
    1 - A PCMCIA 3G card as this will give greater reliability and also a connection for an external antenna to boost the signal.
    2 - A routers which is specially designed for this purpose from http://www.billion.uk.com/

Thanks again.:D