Wireless Router with PPPoE

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omnipotentai, Oct 25, 2008.

1. omnipotentai macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I live in an apt building where we're required to use PPPoE for our connection...I want to instal a wireless router, but I don't know if I need a special router, or just need to mess around with the settings...Please help!
    (I bought a router and couldn't figure it out but I can still take it back if I need to)

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

You should be able to connect the modem to the router with a ethernet cable and get a wireless signal as long as the WiFi is enabled. If not, you can try resetting the modem. This should erase your PPPoE username/password and you can then insert the information into the router. You can check it under internet settings in the router and it's probably under a drop menu for PPPoE. So no, you don't need a "special" modem unless you want one that is both a modem and wireless router.

Can you go into more detail about your setup? What kind of connection do you have? Most DSL users have to deal with PPPoE, so I'm guessing that's what you have. What kind of modem? Router?

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Most routers have PPPoE settings available, it's should be a matter of finding them. You might have to check the manual for the router you have in order to find out exactly how to set it up.