Wireless router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by youngsunnz, Oct 21, 2013.

1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

I need to buy a router for my home and need a suggestion to which one will be best for my needs etc. I need something where I can surf the web, stream videos ex Apple TV I also use the ATT microcell. I Use my iPhone iPad and MacBook. My wireless plan is 25mbps and I live in a / bedroom apartment approximately fly 1100 sq ft I'm not sure which brand to go to since I've been reading different stores and also different advices . What works the best with apple products. One of the issues is I have a $60 budget.

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

one of the best is an airport extreme or a time capsule so that you can have a time machine backup built in. However, they are expensive... $200.

If you are on that small of a budget look for a linksys or netgear.

I would try to get at least wireless N, preferably AC if you can find it in your price range.

It's also best to try to get something with simultaneous dual band (2.4 and 5ghz) frequencies.

If you can find one with a USB port that's always a good feature to have so that you can hook up a printer for wireless printing or plug in a hard drive for network storage.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Have had an Apple airport express for years now, best router I've ever had. Good signal, operates flawlessly, never a problem unless the cable company has a broadband issue. Plug it in, plug in CAT 6 cable from modem, done. Recently, I think my Apple router has been running continuously for seven to eight months without a single drop, reboot, or problem. Unheard of with Cisco or PC crap routers.

And if I were buying new today, I'd be getting the new Airport Extreme, they are superb routers.

Before my Apple Express, I had both a Linksys and a Netgear. Both gave me problems from time to time, though the Linksys was a bit better. Until the Linksys failed and started dropping signals. I got so sick of rebooting them, and note this is on the same cable modem and company as my current Apple router. I finally paid extra for the Apple router -- absolutely worth the money.

4. dXTC, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I have also had years of solid, stable performance with my 2009-model AirPort Extreme.

However, as the Extreme has a premium price tag, you may want to check out the latest iteration of the AirPort Express. Since it has two Ethernet ports (one WAN for connecting to an Internet modem/router, one LAN for a wired client or switch), you'd be able to do pretty much everything my Extreme can do-- just add a cheap switch for multiple wired LAN clients later, which right now you really don't need with your situation.

One really big thing that the Apple routers do consistently that I haven't seen from other routers is the ability to wake an iTunes server on an iTunes request. Any of my Apple TVs can send a request to one of my computers running iTunes; if that "server" is in sleep mode, the Extreme's Bonjour proxy nudges it awake, gets the server to stream the video to the requesting device, then allows it to go right back to sleep. Meanwhile, the Apple TV thinks the server was awake the whole time.

5. bigmikeinnj macrumors regular

bigmikeinnj

ive had my Extreme since 2009 when we got our first hd tv. We live on an acre of wooded land a like browsing and all other stuff you can do once you have a strong wifi signal.
    Only time in 5 years we had problems with wifi was after Hurricane Sandy, but that was cable issues due to the devastation. Once we got power and cable back the beloved green light was on solid. I'm upgrading to the new Time a Machine this year. I'd save my money a little longer and get the new Extreme. Imagine being out at you apartment pool using your wifi !!

6. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

Apple Airport Extreme

Apple's Airport Extreme, bar none. The most rock-stable thing I've ever seen in home routers, and it has no hangups working with anything.

Got one for my mom & dad, as their old Linksys would not keep a stable connection with their new Nest home energy unit. Nest has a list of routers to avoid.

Heck even my premium Netgear WNDR3800 needed a reboot each week, because it drops the 2.4Ghz connection for my devices occasionally.

Pay the premium, get the Airport Extreme; it's worth it, certainly in the long run.

7. twoehr macrumors member

$ is your limiting factor. To maximize your $ I would first sign-up with newegg.com for daily sales deals. For example they have a WD router for $30 that seems good for you needs, WDBAJA0000NWT-HESN.

In general I like D-Link. People seem to be very happy with WD, Asus, & Netgear. Now that 802.11ac is out your should be able to get an "N" router for much less than you would've at the beginning of the year.

8. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

If you want a basic router with dual band and a usb port, go with the Airport Extreme. If you need something that offers content filtering, virus checking (email), VPN, and more - go with Cisco or the higher-end Netgear UTM series.

I have the Apple Airport Extreme as a wireless access point but use the Netgear UTM25 as a VPN/Security Appliance. Since it has dual WAN, you can connect cable and fiber for load balancing or fail-over. The 4 port LAN has the ability to setup virtual LANs. So you can break up some of your network traffic from each other. It's amazing what this thing can do for just under a grand.

9. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

If you're living in an Apple Ecosystem then the Airport Extreme is a no-brainer assuming you already have a internet (ADSL/Cable) modem.

Very stable, great coverage and speed and the 5th gen. versions (dual band - 802.11n) are going for a steal at the minute. I sold one last week for £65 on eBay :eek:

----------

If you're living in an Apple Ecosystem then the Airport Extreme is a no-brainer assuming you already have a internet (ADSL/Cable) modem.

Very stable, great coverage and speed and the 5th gen. versions (dual band - 802.11n) are going for a steal at the minute. I sold one last week for £65 on eBay :eek: and if you don't want 802.11ac they are just as good

10. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I've always had great luck with Belkin & D-Link over the years (both of which have several models in your price range), regardless of what I was using to get online with......their web-based interfaces have been among the simplest and most straight forward of several brands I have tried out.

But as most others have said, the Airport extreme IS an extremely well-built, robust and dependable machine too, especially for those who have some or all apple products already.... but you aint gonna get one for $60 :(

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I love how nobody can read the thread.

He specifically stated he has a budget of $60, yet every person decides to post and recommend he buy an Airport Express/Extreme.

12. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Get a second hand previous gen Airport Express or a previous previous gen Airport Extreme. Should get either for $60.

13. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Everyone has their 'favourites' with respect to equipment. Usually, it means they bought it and now advocate it to justify their purchase. Some may have great items and some, really don't know better.

I strongly suggest you go to smallnetbuilder site which has plenty of routers that are reviewed and tested.

I have used Airport Express, Airport Extremes, DLink, Linksys and more on the home front. Candidly, the Apple offerings never are more than middle of the road and what sets them apart is cost, looks and requiring software to control the units as opposed to most that only require web interface. I'll just say the AE offerings are rather pedestrian at best and not the fastest out there but do their job convincingly well enough.

FYI - most of my Apple routers have found themselves in the homes of my friends and at times, set up AE devices for other people I know based on suggesting they stay in the Apple eco system because they are not savvy with computers. The latter is the only reason I would recommend it. It is more about feeling comfortable than about being a superior piece of technology applied.

smallnetbuilder should be your next web site to review

14. Ranuy macrumors newbie

Medialink will be a good choise for you on the budget, it's a dual-band wireless router, it’s fast enough to stream videos effortlessly. This router is suitable for both PCs and Macs and very easy to setup, see more info here http://www.wirelessrouterhome.com/fastest-wireless-router/

15. Gator1pk macrumors newbie

Gator1pk

Netgear? Prepare to do a hardboot (unplug moden, unplug netgear router, wait a minute, plug in moden and plug in router) on the router at least once a week.

I got so disgusted with Netgear, that I switched the two that I had for Airport Extreme's and have loved them. I even changed my ethernet hubs from Netgear to TRENDNet. Of course, everything is gigabit and on CAT6

16. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Last month I bought an refurbished Airport Express from the Applestore for $75.00 which comes with a 1 year guarantee and I really like it.

17. lurry macrumors newbie

The Medialink would be a good option for your price, and it is a dual-band wireless router

18. aham23 macrumors regular

19. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

I also have tried many routers and in my experience, going with an Apple router makes the most sense. Yes, you can check out the latest specifications and find something that has better specs and/or is cheaper. So what? If it's not reliable, it's not worth it. After buying several 'cheap' routers, constantly having to reboot them and having them die on me and then buying another and another, I gave up on it. There's nothing cheap about something you have to keep replacing. If $60 really is the end of your funds, try craigslist. I see Airport Express's on there for $40 all the time. You might want to check the model number and stick to the last two or three generations. Airplay and wireless printing are a big bonus.

If $60 really isn't all you can spend, consider a refurbished Time Capsule. The 2TB version is going for $200 last I checked and is essentially an Airport Extreme with a hard drive. That's $100 cheaper than the current model and I'm not sure how long that's going to last.

I would appreciate some feedback on what a reliable router is outside the Apple offerings.