Wireless Router?

bazotic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
17
0
I am buying the 17MBP and I need a router. What is the best one on the market? I'll need it for a small apartment, so I don't have to be connected to the modem when I want to get on the net.
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,648
31
San Francisco, CA
Since you have an Mac, and a smaller area, I would go with an Apple Airport Express. It isn't the cheapest, but it is incredibly easy to setup and manage (no third party software to install). Plus, Airtunes is just plain cool. :cool:

Edit: and it looks nicer :)
 

bazotic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
17
0
On the airport, would i need the regular one with airtunes or the one with the modem and antenna port?
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,648
31
San Francisco, CA
bazotic said:
On the airport, would i need the regular one with airtunes or the one with the modem and antenna port?
Since you said this would be for a smaller apartment, you wouldn't need the external antenna port. Also, I'm assuming you have High-Speed (and not dial-up)? If so, you wouldn't need the modem.

I would get the Airport Express (which features AirTunes). The Extreme would just be overkill IMO.
 

bazotic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2006
17
0
EricNau said:
Since you said this would be for a smaller apartment, you wouldn't need the external antenna port. Also, I'm assuming you have High-Speed (and not dial-up)? If so, you wouldn't need the modem.

I would get the Airport Express (which features AirTunes). The Extreme would just be overkill IMO.
Great, thank you. That's what I'll do. I had been looking at the Airport, but I didn't know if it was what I needed. Oh and yes, I have high-speed.
 

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
10,648
31
San Francisco, CA
bazotic said:
Great, thank you. That's what I'll do. I had been looking at the Airport, but I didn't know if it was what I needed. Oh and yes, I have high-speed.
I have the Airport Express and I've been very happy with it. The range isn't great, but it should be enough for your needs.