wireless router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jimbobyorks, Dec 2, 2007.

1. jimbobyorks macrumors newbie

bit of help needed here

have a broadband connection in the uk that uses a usb modem and wanting to go wireless. The website of my ISP shows one netgear product with the white box plus usb adapter. Have got a 1.9mhz G5 iMac and has airport built in so what would I need and what can anyone recommend. Am crap at network stuff to be honest.

Thanks in advance

jimbobyorks

2. ahmed.hassan macrumors member

The 'one netgear product with the white box plus usb adapter' is all you seem to need, provided that the 'white box' is a router. If you can post a link to the page on your ISP's website, we can confirm whether or not that is the case. The USB adaptor will not be needed because you already have a built-in wireless adaptor in your Mac (namely the AirPort Card), and so you can either sell it or use it with a PC.

3. jimbobyorks thread starter macrumors newbie

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I have one of those Netgear ADSL modem/Routers that I'm not using anymore (got the new Airport Extreme) it's a DG834G I believe. If shipping isn't too much (from Canada) I'd be willing to let it go for cheap (they go for £25.00 on eBay). Also you don't need the USB part because the iMac has a card in it already. PM me if you want to it discuss further.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Stay far away from Lynksys routers. Unless you like frequent drops in your connection.

6. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I've been very happy with my Netgear WPN824. Easy to use interface and very rarely drops the connection. I've had a few Linksys Routers die - as others have said stay away from them.