Wireless Routerless Network?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Amigalander, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Amigalander macrumors regular

Is it possible to transfer files wirelessly between a Mac and a PC without a router? If not, then is it easy to do with an ethernet cable direct from Mac to PC? Thanks.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Simply have the Mac create a network, and have the PC connect to it. Alternatively, you can use an Ethernet cable, which would be much faster than any wireless setup.

TEG

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

4. seb-opp macrumors 6502

if you use ethernet, you need a cross-over cable which is different to a standard cable

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This is not true if both NICs are auto sensing. The OP would have to figure out whether that is the case or not.

6. Amigalander thread starter macrumors regular

Both NICs would need to be auto-sensing? I always assumed just one was needed to "cross" the connection. I have a new model MacBook Pro (which I believe is auto-sensing). The PC might not be tho.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

One is all that is needed, or you can always use a crossover cable, which always works.

If you use a standard patch cable and connect them together, as long as you get a link light, you're okay.