Wireless Routers/Virgin Media/PC Networking

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by neworderdude, Nov 7, 2007.

1. neworderdude macrumors newbie

Just for the record, im based in the UK

After years and years of saying "One day" I finally bought myself a mac about 4 months ago

I got it home, plugged the cable modem in and BANG, it worked straight away and I have been fine ever since

Only problem is, The house I live in, there are 2 PC's that have done nothing but moan ever since about only being able to use the internet when I'm not in on their PC's

Thats because the virgin media modem won't install via usb on my mac and I'm pretty certain they will not let you share a wired internet connection directly from a hub. The only other option is wireless, which I have never liked the idea of

So I was told that Buffalo routers are the ONLY routers that are compatible with Virgin media. Great, so I went and bought one. Now I'm being told they are not mac compatible. Which of course means it isnt working

I'm really getting hacked off at being nagged to sort it so I thought I would ask on here

Am I being miss informed about things such as Virgin/mac compatibility and if so, what solutions are there?

Also, has anyone else had a similar experience and could perhaps help?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

2. cokeacola macrumors member

never had any experience with a virgin modem only orange and that was picked up on a mac through wireless

i think you will have to contact virgin to see what routers are compatible with macs

can you not get the pcs to install the router and you can pick it up by airport on the mac

3. cw2k macrumors newbie

Using the ethernet connection on the cable modems is a lot more stable than USB.

Any router should work (don't use an adsl router as thats works differently), it doesn't have to be wireless router if you are just having a wired network. As long as the router is configured via a web interface it shouldn't cause problems when trying to configure it on a mac. (I have successfully used belkin, linksys and apple router with my virgin media connection on my network of 3 macs and 1 pc)

Virgin Media allow multiple connections (wired or wireless) but they do state that they will provide no support for anything related to multiple connections. You only get one IP address from virgin media so the router will handle the connection between this and you home network (via NAT)

As long as the routers WAN side is set it's dynamic IP address via DHCP it will set up the internet connection by itself. You then configure your home network how you like.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

We have Virgin Media 20MB and have no problems getting our home network running.

1. The Scientific Atlanta Modem (Supplied by Virgin) from which we have

2. an ethernet cable connected to a Netgear WGR614 router (bought by us).

3. Directly from the Netgear I have an ethernet cable running into my Mac Pro (There are 3 free Ethernet ports left if you don't want to use WiFi)

4. a MacBook and an iMac both use the connection via WiFi…

All works perfectly.

Get the USB modem exchanged — they are really not worth the bother… :eek: