Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McNasty

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
SLC, Utah
My wireless works fine at my house and school. I'm unable to connect to the wireless internet and random locations like my friend's house or my parent's house. I'm not very network saavy and don't know if there is something I can change in the way I have my wireless settings set up at my house or if there is something I can do within my MBP? If anybody can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

I'm running a 1st gen MBP 15" upgrade to Leopard

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You can't browse in other places because you don't have the password or something, I don't think its a problem with your MBP.

Hierotochan

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Try this...

Check your DHCP settings in your Network Preferences.
You might have is set to generate your Mac a Self-Assigned IP.
It was a common little bug, takes a bit of fiddling to sort it out.

jonahj

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2007
NJ
You can't browse in other places because you don't have the password or something, I don't think its a problem with your MBP.

Agreed.. Those other locations mostly like have implement security using either WEP or WPA.. On the other hand, most people do not implement security and have their wireless networks wide open (bad idea).

McNasty

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
SLC, Utah
Thanks for the advice. I'll see who she works next time I am at my friend's house. The weird thing is that I have the WEP password and everything. I input the password, which then gives me access to their wireless network. My airport says it has full signal, but still won't connect to any web pages. Weird....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.