Wireless Scanner With Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mashinhead, Aug 22, 2007.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

So I went wireless connecting a HD, Scanner and Printer to a usb hub which is then connect to my AE. I have the HDD and Printer connected and working. How do i get the scanner to work? Has anyone done that before?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think you do. I've never heard of it working. :( Apple never claimed that it would, either. If you find a way, though, I'm all ears, because I would love to do it also.

3. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

what about iphone syncing? is that all good with this set up?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think so... I don't think you can really do anything except use hard drives & printers, charge USB devices (without making a connection) and us remotes designed to work with the Airport.

5. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

oh i didn't mean charging the iphone wirelessly i meant connecting it directly to the computer and syncing music through itunes, with the music coming from the hdd wirelessly.

6. kolax macrumors G3

All the Airport Extreme is capable of doing is hard drives and printers.

Doesn't have the brains to do anything else, using a hard drive with it pushes its brains to the max. You can hear it cursing under its breath.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, oh, I see. I guess it should work. But I've never tried anything like that. iTunes doesn't require music to be in the home directory during syncing. It just requires it to be somewhere on an accessible volume.

8. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

What about a multi-function printer?

I just got a Canon Multi-Function thanks to the ed discount w/mac purchase. I had assumed I could connect it to my Airport Base (n) and get full usage. Am I going to have to unplug from the Base and manually plug into my MacBookPro to use the scanner?

Is this the kind of thing that could be fixed one day with a firmware update?

THanks.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As far as I've ever seen/heard, yes, you will. And I tend to think it's not remediable by a firmware update, because of the difference in the way the devices work, although who knows? The Airport isn't providing you a wireless USB connection. If you look at the Printer in OS X, it does not act as if its connected by USB. It acts as if its being served from a network print server, which is in fact exactly what the Airport is / does. Same deal with the Airdisk. So it isn't like they just have to "turn on" scanner access. They'd have to develop some kind of network TWAIN server.

As for how that makes you feel, note Apple never told you that you could scan from an AEBS....

10. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

Since I scan as often as once a month I suppose I can manage.:rolleyes:

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehe, yeah. I'm actually kind of the opposite. I had a printer connected to my AEBS and I realized I printed so little that it just isn't worth it. Shhhh, I print the 1-2 pages per month of personal printing I need somewhere else. :eek: On the other hand, I finally got a dedicated scanner and I use it tons. It's physically connected to my iMac. I guess that's fine. I hate having wires coming out of my iMac, but if it were connected to the AEBS, I'd have to walk back and forth a ridiculous amount anyways....