Wireless set up & peripherals advice UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iambasil, Jul 20, 2010.

1. iambasil macrumors regular

Hi,

I need to sort out my network between computers and things at home. I think I finally know how to pull together what I want, but am hoping for some advice on products to purchase.

I'm currently running:

- Orange LiveBox (doesn't support WDS or 'n') router
    - Airport Express
    - XBox 360 (not connected)
    - MacBook (1,1 1.83GHz 1.5GB RAM with 60GB drive & Snow Leopard)
    - MBP (new i7 with 4GB RAM, 500GB@7200)
    - 250GB portable external drive

I think I need:
    1. New router (I want to connect my XBox to the network via the AExpress due location - hence need wds support, and would like 'n' to speed up filesharing between computers/backups)
    2. A 1 or 2TB external drive for backups and storage (probably hard connect to router, most likely I'll only need 1TB)
    3. A new hard drive for my MacBook - coz 60GB just won't do. Think 320GB will be enough (for the missus) - just need something reliable and cost effective
    4. Software to auto sync files (selected directories) between the two laptops (but only on my log-in, not the missus)
    I'd appreciate it if anybody with experience of any/all of the above could recommend good quality and affordable products that will allow everything to talk to each other properly (eg XBox read and play files off my computer wirelessly).

For number 1, I've thought about staying apple with AExtreme/TCapsule, but am not convinced by TC (eg partition limitations) and am not sure if they offer the best value for what I need.

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. iambasil thread starter macrumors regular

98 views and no replies :(

Anyway, think point number 3 is solved - I'm getting a friend's 500GB HDD from his 2008 15" MBP (he's upgrading to a SSD). Assuming it'll slot straight into my 13" MacBook.

Still leaves the other points where I could do with some advice.

Points 1 & 2 - I'm hoping I can get for a combined total of £150 somehow (couldn't find many routers with 1TB built in, and the TC is a problem because it won't let me partition it and costs a lot!).

Any ideas?