Wireless Signal Strength

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tomegun, May 18, 2008.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I don't have a good signal with my iMac. I'm only getting two lines - it really is more like the dot and the smallest arc - on my wireless indicator. I have what I think is a good wireless router: Belkin N1. I also have a Windows desktop connected with a cable, a MBP that always has a better signal no matter where I'm at in the house and my wife uses a Windows laptop without problem. My house is a single story and the iMac is in the kitchen beside the fridge on a built-in desk. The system is a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo with 1GB or Ram. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Does anyone know what I could do to improve the signal strength other than moving the iMac? This seems rather odd to me, but sometimes wireless is.

2. CBAviator macrumors 6502

I'd suggest placing your MBP in the same spot as your iMac to see what kind of signal it is receiving. It's possible there is something directly between your iMac and the router that's blocking the signal (i.e., something thick and made of metal like a refrigerator or something).

3. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Me, too... sort of

I just replaced my old G5 tower with a new iMac. I put it in the same place as the old computer, which is about 4 feet from my wireless router. The G5 always had a full amount of lines. The number of lines on the iMac varies. I thought that was weird.

4. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

I get a better signal with my MBP in the same place. I don't know why or what the deal is. I just looked on the Belkin site and they don't have an extender for the N1 routers.

5. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

Are you running Tiger? In the Airport drop down menu is something like "Interference Robustness" checked? That may have something to do with it but unlikely.

6. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

7. Astral Cars macrumors regular

Is the internet still quick enough? Would you notice any difference if it wasn't for what the little indicator shows? I've grown to not really trust mine.

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Are there a lot of other wireless routers in the area that are using the same channel as you? If so, try switching form channel 6 to 1 or 11.

9. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

make sure ur on ur network happened to me one time it switched me without even telling me it was rather odd like every one else would say :confused: