Wireless signal strengthening

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hovitos-way, Jul 19, 2008.

1. hovitos-way macrumors member

Hi, I have a MBP (08) and unfortunately, in my home it is in the room furthest away from my router. The router is a pre-n router. I was wondering if there is anyway to boost the signal (even slightly) so that it will cause the signal to not drop as much as it has been. I have tried changing the channel on the router and it hasn't worked much. Is there any hardware I could buy?

Thanks in advance for any help! :confused:

2. chscag macrumors 65816

You could always try setting up an "access point" or relay from your main router. But that can run into $$$ as they're not as popular as they used to be and still cost around $70 to $80.

Try to elevate your router as high up as you can get it. Perhaps on top of a bookcase or some other tall piece of furniture. If your home has two stories the ideal spot is on the second floor in the middle of the house.

In a large home with angled rooms and walls between the router and receiver (your MBP) it may be next to impossible to get a strong signal without some kind of boost or relay. Something you might try is a wireless antenna range extender. Here's one with a built in amp but it's expensive:

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/wireless/wireless-range-extender.php

You can find range extenders without the amp for varying prices. Do some searching using Google and see what you come up with.

Regards.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod