Wireless Solar Keyboard and Mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jack Parker, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jack Parker macrumors member

I've just heard about these products and am interested in them for my iMac. (Tired of replacing batteries.)

The Logitech wireless/solar powered keyboard looks fantastic! It charges through any light source and keeps its charge for three months even in total darkness.

Does anyone have experience with this keyboard? Is there a mouse that does the same thing?

2. shoebobs macrumors regular

Talking about the K750? I've been using it for a long time and I love it.

3. Jack Parker thread starter macrumors member

Thanks shoebobs. Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, that's the keyboard I'm looking at, in silver. It gets a lot of good reviews on Amazon but, some of them (recent reviews) mention problems that I wonder if you've experienced?

NEGATIVE REVIEW #1
    NEGATIVE REVIEW #2
    NEGATIVE REVIEW #3
    NEGATIVE REVIEW FROM JAN. 17, 2015
    NEGATIVE REVIEW #5
    Has this been the case for you?
    Can you use it without installing the "solar software?"
    Being wireless, but not Bluetooth, how reliable is it?

What kind of mouse do you use with it? From what I can tell, there are no solar powered mice. (Well, I did see one but it looked rubbish.) I thought I'd use the Magic Mouse but get the Mobee Technology Magic Mouse Charger.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I've had my Logitech solar keyboard for almost as long as they've been out. The battery is still taking a charge and it works fine. The battery is not meant to be user replaceable, but I did a Google search and have found that people do it and it's not very hard at all.

The battery status software used to be a CPU hog on OS X, but it was updated and is fine now. It's fine on Windows. I feel this software is crucial to using the keyboard.

Unfortunately I moved rooms from a bright sunny room to a fairly dark room with little natural light that has to go around two corners to reach the keyboard. Because of this, about every 2 weeks I have to leave the keyboard in the window while I am at work in order to top up the battery.

On rare occasion the keyboard won't wake up with the computer from sleep and I need to "reboot" the keyboard by flicking its power switch off and on. By "rare" I mean maybe once every 3-5 months.

I have never had problems with reception.

5. boatcapt macrumors member

I'm using this keyboard myself and after about 2 years of usage the battery died. But the fix was simple and inexpensive. I purchased 5 - ML2032 batteries off of eBay for 20 bucks. Installed battery and has been working perfectly again ever since. I actually like it much better than my Apple bluetooth keyboard.

6. dyt1983, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.