Wireless Sound

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Juve90210, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Juve90210 macrumors newbie

I am moving into a college house with a couple friends next year, and am trying to find a way to keep my macbook in my room and broadcast the music to a receiver in another room of the house. I have an external hard drive with about 60 GB of music. I would preferably have it be wireless so that doesn't add to the clutter of the house. The liability of leaving my laptop/music files out where anyone can change the selection (and more importantly, walk off with it) is too much for me. So long story short, I want to transmit mp3 from my laptop to a receiver hooked up to a speaker system. I imagine its a two piece system, but i haven't really found anything to stands out at me. Thanks!

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I also vote for AirPort Express. You can either set it up as a seperate network, or connect it physcally to the router of your main network (regardless of whether it is wired or wireless).

TEG

4. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Airport Express.

EDIT: Arghh I hate it when I leave windows open and reply a lot of time later when people have already posted the answer.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Although I think the Airport Express works great, there is no way to control it other than at your computer. A great alternative to this is a LogiTech SlimDevice (www.slimdevices.com). We have one of these and it connects wirelessly to the computer with the slim device server software and then runs your iTunes library. It is seamless and very easy. Great display and comes with a remote. Though I have noticed the price ($299) has gone up over the years. Maybe a used one?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually you can use a Kingston IR remote to control iTunes through the express, or use the AirClick USB, and connect it to the computer.

TEG

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Oh yeah. Forgot about those, they work really well too.
    Still no display though ;)

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The OP did say they didn't want it so people could change it...maybe they don't care about a remote.

9. coons.29 macrumors newbie

If you have a iPhone or another cellphone / device that runs on wifi (or has internet access), you can remote control with a program called Signal (PC) or there is a few programs written in apple script that allow you to remote control. I personally use Signal and have not had a problem.