Wireless speakers - harman soundsticks or something else?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by majkom, Jun 16, 2013.

1. majkom macrumors 65816

Hi i do plan to buy mb air and some bt speakers (i like idea of speakers that are always on without need to connect them via wire), so, harman sd sticks or something else? Thx.

2. hofnar macrumors regular

hofnar

I've been a sound stick user for years and I think they are great looking, and have great sound for the price.

I have the latest model out, but not the bluetooth version. I run it through my airport express. To my understanding the bluetooth model has a slight degration in the sound quality for some users.

If you didn't want to risk with bluetooth and want wireless speakers you could always get the standard model and a refurb airport express. It would cost you about the same as the bluetooth model.

3. majkom thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, I thought harman solved that ane BT version is as good as wired one... this are bad news:(

Do not understand that solution with airport.. I do have time capsule, so i should by airport expres, connect it to my network as extender and connect spekers to express? and than what?

thx.

4. Scrapula macrumors 6502

Bluetooth have overall poorer sound quality. If you need wireless, go with Airplay speakers.

5. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Using an Airport Express allows you to play audio to the speakers remotely using Airplay on your Mac or iOS device. Basically once everything is connected you will see the Airport Express show up as a speaker option on your devices.

And I love the soundsticks. My set is about 6 years old now and they still sound great. They really are one of the nice combos that both look really cool and sound great.

6. majkom thread starter macrumors 65816

So you say, best possible solution is buying airport express, joining it to my network (plan to buy time capsule) and connecting soundsticks to the express? is there any lag using this type of connection (airplay)? (i mean, eg watching movie, is the sound from speakers lagged against image?)

and, how should se airport express - i dont want it to be extender or whatever, time capsule will cover all my flat with wifi, so all i need from expres sis to give me possibility of airplay:)

and another question, having airplay enabled - all my computers in the network can use soundsticks? if so, how is it managed, if two computers in one moment choose as sound output airplayed soundsticks?:)

7. majkom thread starter macrumors 65816

8. majkom thread starter macrumors 65816

So, I will try to ask specifically:

1. if I decide to buy airport express - i will connect it to network created with TC or airport extreme, than connect my speakers to express sound output and that is all?

2. will I be able to use my speakers (connected as stated above) with several devices (I have two macbooks, iphone...)?

3. If so, what happens when using speakers by one user/macbbok and another one tries to use the speakers as well???