wireless speakers question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iaddict, Dec 20, 2010.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

I am looking for a pair of wireless speakers that will send audio from older iMac to my parents bedroom. They have some speakers connected to their iMac but would like to have a set in their bedroom so they don't have to up the volume in order to hear them in the other room. They are over 80yrs old, so it needs to be something simple to operate. I am hoping there is a solution that doesn't involve bluetooth - anything that is simple so I won't be getting SOS calls on a frequent basis. They do have a wireless router just in case that is something that is needed.

Thanks.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

airport express, you can set it up to join the network from any wireless router. then you just select it from the menu at the bottom of itunes. you can also have the music in sync from the computer and the express at the same time.

if they want audio from something besides itunes, then you neet to look at airfoil

3. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

So with airfoil..

I will still need speakers, correct? I need to know of an inexpensive solution for them to listen to their Pandora selections in both rooms-where their computer is but also back in the bedroom. Otherwise the music blast so loud it's prob gpoing to blow out the small Bose speaker they have attached to the computer

4. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

Also

They don't have any other Apple devices, only the computer.

5. runofthedill macrumors member

this quesiton interests me. Im looking for a wireless speaker set myself.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

for them to listen to pandora currently, you would need

airfoil + airport express + speakers.

sometime in the next few months, airplay enabled speakers (and stereos) will become available, those would allow you to combine the airport express and the speakers.
    Airfoil should sill work with these, and unless apple changes something, you will still need it to send audio from pandora (or anything but itunes).

with airfoil, you can have music coming in sync from the computer speakers, and the remote speakers, although there is a couple second delay (even the local, so when you hit pause, music plays for a couple more seconds), due to buffering. Normally isn't a problem, but limits the ability to do video.