Wireless speakers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by anfield11, Jan 2, 2010.

1. anfield11 macrumors 6502

We are building a new house and rather than having it pre-wired for speakers all over the house, we'd like to be able to "broadcast" music to anywhere in the house from an iMac or iPod, preferably. Does anyone have suggestions as to how we can do this? Even suggestions that we are better off to pre-wire it.

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) Don't bump your threads: it's agains the rules

2) Perhaps Airfoil would work?

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would say you are better off to prewire it. The only wireless speakers I know are tinny pieces of garbage. They will not come close to the quality or power of good speakers powered over wire by a good receiver or amp. The prewiring will also boost your houses resaile value.

While you are at it you should wire every room in your house with Cat 6 and coax. If you can afford it fiber optic cabling. This way your house will be ready to handle new devices as they come out. Light Peak which is soon to be released by Intel should make fiber optic cabling quite useful in the next few years. With Light Peak being able to handle all devices being connected to it I see know reason why you could not eventually have every TV and stereo connected to a central server via Light Peak. With each HDTV acting as a dummy terminal.

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

^^^^ What he said

Wireless speakers are crap, I never heard a good set at all.

5. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to velocityg4 and Primejimbo.

Any other opinions, of course, welcomed too. :)

6. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

If you're building a house then I'd say you SHOULD prewire the house and get everything you want, or even MIGHT want in the future done now. It will save you the hassle later.

Besides that, I concur with everyone else, wired is the way to go.

7. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure I should trust anyone with a WIN7 desktop!! :)