wireless speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zefff, Dec 23, 2014.

1. zefff macrumors newbie

Hi, I was hoping for some feedback on a few questions regarding wifi. I have a MBPR with an AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xEF) card.
    My fibre op internet connection has recently upgraded from 80 to 150mbps (download speed), so I've been testing it out with the ISP's speed test. I am situated about 2 metres away from the R1000H router that they provided. On average, my wireless download speed is 90something mbps, 60ish mbps less than it is when hardwired.

What gets me is that before I upgraded to fibre op 150mbps, I had 80mbps fibre op, which, upon running the same speed test, would normally give 80mbps. Makes sense, right?

So my question is: why don't I get a result that is closer to 150mbps now that I have upgraded to 150mbps?

Is it the router? My card?

2. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

I have three (well, maybe four) questions for you:
    1) What year is your MBP? Does it have the latest network card in it?
    2) I didn't quite understand what year your Airport Extreme is? [Edit, AFAIK Airport Extreme is a router itself, so you should not use the router+router (the one your ISP provided) combo.] I just switched to the Mac platform, but I've read that they got updated a while ago.
    3) Make sure that the boot file inside the "box" located outside your residence has got the right one. It happened to me recently, I asked for a speed increase, but they uploaded the wrong boot file, so my speed was instead worse than what it was.
    Best,

3. zefff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, someoneoutthere.
    My MBPR is mid 2012. For card type I found this:

en0:
    Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xEF)
    Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.124.12.10).

etc etc...

I am using the router my ISP provided, which is an Actiontec R1000H.

4. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

Ah, sorry, I read your message wrong. I thought you were using an Airport Extreme router, now I see that it's the actual network card you are referring to.
    My 2014 rMBP has the following specs:
    en0:
    Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x134
    Anyways. I'd first call for an appointment with your ISP and send someone over to check that boot file. Here, I was able to get them update it with no additional fees. The gentleman that got here was very kind, after he did the update he asked us to do a speed test, and called in his company to do a "cancel at door" to save us the burden from the service cost that may have otherwise incurred.
    Next, you should check for the max. speed your router supports.
    Other than that, I'd wait for the other more experienced forum members to jump in to the thread, as my knowledge in the Apple ecosystem is fairly limited.
    Good luck figuring it out.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Are you connected through wi-fi? If so, hold the option (alt) key and click the airport icon.

Current Wi-Fi negotiated speed will be displayed there, it should show up as TX Rate:.

This'll tell you what kind of speeds you are likely to see. Most Wi-Fi routers integrated into modems suck, so I wouldn't expect miracles.

Attached Files:

6. zefff thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks. Mine shows TX Rate: 145 mbps. Funny how speed tests on the web show approx. 90 mbps.
    I called my ISP and they said that 90 is a good speed for wireless. I'm inclined to believe that if my connection is 150, I should be able to get a router that'll give me 140 at least... Especially since I was getting 80 when I had 80mbps fibre op.

7. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

145 mbps should get you going. That's the same TX Rate I have at the campus and I see about 17 mb/s download rates.
    I still strongly suggest that you give a call to your ISP and ask them to send someone over to check that boot file.