wireless ssid entry: newbie ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sbb155, Aug 6, 2007.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

I have a wireless, unsecured network, which does not broadcast the ssid. Everytime I comeout of sleep mode, I have to enter the wireless network name under the airport icon at the top of the screen before it detects it. Windows lets me automatically connect, how do I do that to the mac if the ssid is not broadcast. Note: unsecured network

2. thomasb3 macrumors newbie

Why unsecured?

why don't you broadcast it and secure it? Have you tried going to system preferences/ network, select show= airport then by default join (automatic). I don't know if this will help if the ssid is not broadcasted though. The other option for joining is (preferred networks), I thought there was another setting somewhere that may help but I will have to dig around and see if I can find it.

3. elbirth macrumors 65816

In System Preferences under Network, click "configure" for airport. there's a little box at the bottom where you can add preferred networks. add it there and it should look for that first when coming out of sleep

4. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

That about sums it up. I have a password protected, non broadcasted network name with wireless card access list turned on. Only had to set it up once and my macbook, powerbook, macmini, and a few other windows machines have never had to reconnect. All sleep every night and many times during the day depending on usage. Automatically connect when I leave network and come back.

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Figure it out yourself, Mac dropper.