wireless ssid entry: newbie ?

sbb155

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
I have a wireless, unsecured network, which does not broadcast the ssid. Everytime I comeout of sleep mode, I have to enter the wireless network name under the airport icon at the top of the screen before it detects it. Windows lets me automatically connect, how do I do that to the mac if the ssid is not broadcast. Note: unsecured network

thomasb3

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Why unsecured?

why don't you broadcast it and secure it? Have you tried going to system preferences/ network, select show= airport then by default join (automatic). I don't know if this will help if the ssid is not broadcasted though. The other option for joining is (preferred networks), I thought there was another setting somewhere that may help but I will have to dig around and see if I can find it.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
In System Preferences under Network, click "configure" for airport. there's a little box at the bottom where you can add preferred networks. add it there and it should look for that first when coming out of sleep

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
In System Preferences under Network, click "configure" for airport. there's a little box at the bottom where you can add preferred networks. add it there and it should look for that first when coming out of sleep
That about sums it up. I have a password protected, non broadcasted network name with wireless card access list turned on. Only had to set it up once and my macbook, powerbook, macmini, and a few other windows machines have never had to reconnect. All sleep every night and many times during the day depending on usage. Automatically connect when I leave network and come back.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I have a wireless, unsecured network, which does not broadcast the ssid. Everytime I comeout of sleep mode, I have to enter the wireless network name under the airport icon at the top of the screen before it detects it. Windows lets me automatically connect, how do I do that to the mac if the ssid is not broadcast. Note: unsecured network
Figure it out yourself, Mac dropper.