Wireless Storage and Music Play Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aliwogg, Nov 16, 2011.

1. aliwogg macrumors newbie

I currently have a 6 year old MacBook with a small hard drive and cannot fit almost any of my music on it. I have been wanting to get a wireless hardrive that I could place all of my music on and play it through my MacBook. Then the MacBook would be attached through an audio cable to my stereo.

I'm wondering if there's a way to send the music to my stereo wirelessly too. The above scenario allows me to play all of my music but I'm still hooking it up to the stereo. My receiver is really old so it doesn't have anything fancy on it, but I'm very interested in any full wireless ideas even if it doesn't work with my current old receiver. I would like to start working toward some day having a full wirless home theater system and would currently like to purchase the things that would help me get there rather than wasting money. I know there's Airport and Apple TV but don't know if any of those would help - I don't know that much about what they can do. I'm also interested in products that may not all be Apple solutions.

I would also like for my boyfriend to be able to play music from his computer (he has a PC with iTunes) from the wireless hard drive. I don't think this is an issue however because it looks like timecapsule works with PC.

I would appreciate any wireless options people have whether it's just purchasing timecapsule, or a great full home wireless music option for the future.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AirPort Express with AirPlay will enable you to play music on your stereo speakers without having any computer connected by wire. It works with both Macs and Windows PCs.