Wireless Storage - Best Options!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrManwelo, Jun 28, 2012.

1. MrManwelo macrumors member

I've ordered a base model Retina Macbook Pro. It comes with the 256GB SSD, which frankly isn't enough, but the next model up was just too costly.

So my question is. What is the best alternative. I need about 1TB minimum for storage and it needs to be wireless. I want something like Time Capsule, but the reviews and massive price put me off.

As my budget has been blown on the Macbook Pro, the solution needs to be as cheap as possible. I've read about NAS adapters and servers, but I dunno.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm in the UK btw.

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If you are expecting to use wireless storage and somehow back that up to time machine, that will be REALLY slow over wireless.

Do you have another computer on the network? I have a mac mini on the network as my fileserver and access it from my macbook. The mini has a USB drive connected for TM backups.

3. NStocks macrumors 65816

4. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

I currently use an external hard drive. But I'm done with wires. Just want a storage area thats networked. Why would backing up be any slower than time capsule with an alternative?

----------

Looks good, but for that price i'd probably just get a time capsule.

5. NStocks macrumors 65816

You could also look at pogoplug. It is essential a cloud storage solution where you connect your own external hd like the WD my book and you can access every file on iPhone, iPad and Mac... It does however require a application for each devices which is why I'm not so sure on it... I don't want to open an application every time I want to access a file on my Mac. (unless it does show up in finder)

Around £50

6. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

hmmmm, i've heard of pogoplug. i get the impression it shows up in finder and only requires the apps for iPhone and iPad. I may be wrong...

7. NStocks macrumors 65816

8. MrManwelo thread starter macrumors member

oh yeh...all pogoplugs are just 'cloud' based over the internet with your personal hard drive providing the storage. I just assumed it was wireless like airport extreme. Lessons no. 1, never assume!! haha.

Better get looking again...

9. anc1en7z macrumors newbie

10. Bazzy macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a time capsule & love it but it was expensive which pissed me off but after having it for two years & no issues I am pleased I got it.

I have heard that some simply buy an airport express router & then attach an external hard drive which acts just like a time capsule but you end up with two items instead of one - maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks here can provide more/better input!

Bazzy!

11. do!ob macrumors newbie

Hi,

I found out about a new wireless storage solution that has just been released.
    Before, a lot of manufacturer released wireless solutions but were too muchh expensive.

Now there is the WeZee Disk from Storex available on PixMania.

http://www.pixmania.se/extern-barba...500-gb-extern-barbar-harddisk/21747292-a.html

about what I read, not all the wireless storage solutions are compatible with iOS.
    However, i tested the WeZeeDisk and it seems to read all video files on iOS. *

Enjoy