Wireless Storage Solutions for IOS devices?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttacka, Mar 4, 2012.

1. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

How feasible/useful are these wifi portable hard disks for pairing up with IOS devices? I mean like the Seagate GoFlex Satellite is 500GB, has 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi from 30 ft, 5hrs operation, 25hr standby time for $200. http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satellite-Wireless-External-STBF500101/dp/B004Z0S7K6 . There are faster flash based ones, some going for around $50 for 16GB.

Seagate have an iPad app that allows the drive the connect wirelessly. Im looking at this as an option to pair along with the 16GB iPad 3. The 64GB SKU is the same $200 more for a lot less space and at least this HDD can be used on multiple devices.

I also looked into the possibility of using my Android phone as a wifi mass storage device accessible by the iPad. I already use it for tethering data anyway, why not storage too?

Any advise or opinions on the feasibility of this?

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I have the Seagate GoFlex Satellite and really enjoy it. I'm able to take along my entire iTunes library wherever I go. I do wish there was improvements in the Satellite app such as creating playlists but hopefully this will be implemented in future updates. Also there is no way to transfer data To the Satellite from the iPad but that is the limitation of the iPad not the Satellite.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The SeaGate GoFlex is as about as good as it goes right now. I have a friend who let me use his for a day and it does as it is advertised to do.:)

It is sad that Apple will not let us store files that we wish directly on the iPad. If only Apple would loosen up it restrictions some, we would not need devices like this:mad:

There are time we all are not able to connect to the Internet or the "cloud" and being able to carry our own files would make the device more productive.

Give me the ability to carry files and MS Office and my iPad will all of a sudden become WAY more a useful device!

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

That's always been one of my big gripes about the iPads - no access to file system.

5. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

GoFlex Satellite, but do yourself a favor and install custom firmware (google "hack goflex satellite"). Then you will have a proper portable 1/2TB NAS for you iOS devices, as opposed to being locked into Seagate's app.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

I would love to be able to stream movies from my Time Capsule when I'm at home (I have iTunes Match for music). As far as I know, there's no way to do that...

7. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Same here, I dont see why they couldn't create a simple solution to allow us to access files without it "confusing" people (sometimes I think Apple forgets not everyone needs their hand held with computing)

8. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. Im looking at this as on 'Offline private dropbox' option. I had the 64GB iPad 2 mainly with 30GB of comics and a few gigs of photos. I hear the Seagate app really sucks. Would I be able to view photos and comics with the HDD or are the restrictions too high?

----------

I think we could be one or two Cydia apps away from bridging that gap. I still want some form of file manager access and the ability to transfer files too and from a mass storage device.

----------

This bugs me too. I need to upload a daily word.doc on my companies website but the entire upload button is greyed out on Safari.

I dont even need full File Manager access, just a 'my documents' folder would be good enough. Man, now that Im at it. I backed up 1000 images to the iPad using the camera connection kit. When I wanted to delete them I had to manually delete every single one of them. Sometimes I think Apple dont listen unless you really kick up a big fuss, I mean look how vocal people had to be about cut and paste before Apple implemented it.

9. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I can view photos from the Satellite via the app but if you have a lot of photos it seems to take a while for thumbnails to appear in the app. as for comics I dont read them so I dont have any experience with them on the Satellite.

10. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Seagate's iOS app is terrible, and the native firmware is slow and restrictive.

That's why I installed a custom GFS firmware, that overcomes a number of original firmware limitations - for instance, it lets me join my GFS to an existing WiFi hotspot.

Most importantly, it enables SMB sharing via GFS.. So I can now access my media via a variety of 3rd party apps on iPad - GoodPlayer for video, GoodReader for PDFs, etc. Highly recommend this firmware.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That's a nice hack, I wish someone would hack the EyeFi card as it's firmware is half finished.