Wireless suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by winty03, Mar 24, 2008.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

First I need to apologize for posting pretty much another AEBS vs TC post, which I have been reading many of. But after reading all the posts I still am confused. I am a switcher and TOTALLY new to all Mac products. I just purchased a Macbook Pro and have absolutely loved it, so, so far so good! I have previously sold all my wireless routers and am now looking to purchase something. What do you guys recommend? I like the sound of the TC, but it seems like alot of users are having issues and or say its slow. I was thinking of getting the TC 1TB and partitioning it (one) to use as a time machine backup for my mbp and (two) file storage for my one other pc. Is this possible and or should I just purchase a AEBS and not use or do the back ups? Everyone seems to say they are slow and or just don't work/freeze/lock up. Should I just buy a Linksys, Dlink, or which Apple product? I am more concern about wireless than backup, but if I can I would like to get backup too. Whats your suggestions?

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Well The Time Capsule is a pretty nice product. But if you want you can by an AirPort Extreme(The Time capsule without the HDD) and plug in a HDD of your liking, (like a 10 TB Block or something like that.) To me the MBP doesn't have enough HDD Space so i would need alot more external space.

3. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick responce. So you believe it might be over all better to buy them seperate? Where I could buy my wireles now and if I wanted to do the backups in the future, I could buy an external HD and set it up the same way the TC works. Is there anything I would loose for function that TC could do over them being seperate? I do alot of DVD backing up via MTR so space would be nice, but just heard that TC was having issues with slow transfer speeds and or locking up on backups.

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

no its pretty much the same and as I said you can get more storage space for (HD videos possibly and other stuff). It could cost more but you could possibly have more space. You also could take the HDD with you because you bought a MBP so i assume you want to be able to take it places (vacations and long trips) and you wouldn't want to take your Time capsule to do that. Go to www.newegg.com and look at some of external HDD and also look on apple.com and if you think you can Financially do it that would be the way i would go.

5. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok sounds good, I will plan on getting a AEBS and just look into possible external storage to plug in. I seen that they finally got the hard drive support working for AEBS with the external hard drives. I was just reading that the TC backups where abou killing or stopping the connection and from the apple store I see reviews are a alot better with the AEBS stand alone versus the TC.

6. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I don't think wireless backups by AEBS + external hard drive are working at a level that I would recommend them to somebody totally new to Mac products. But you can always just plug your external hard drive into your computer and back up periodically that way.

And if you like to have an external hard drive that's portable, getting an AEBS and a hard drive of your choice is a preferable option to getting a Time Capsule; you can't tote a Time Capsule around with ease.

I have an AEBS and an external hard drive and I like it, though it makes for a slightly more cluttered desk! I like that my external hard drive has USB, Firewire and an eSATA connectors; I feel like that offers a bit of "future-proofing" for me.

I hope that Apple eventually improves the AEBS firmware so that wireless Time Machine backups are idiot-proof, as opposed to being touch-and-go as they are now.

7. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that info. I would like to do the wireless backup at some point. But more thinking of a good wireless router. Your guys info is good, so right now external HD is possible with time machine but not that easy to set up. Sounds like going with the AEBS is the better option with the option of installing a external HD at alater point. Hmm I do like the option of hooking up the external for backing up time machine and being able to pull it back off. But REALLY in the end I want to have NAS I have a pc running right now with 2 hard drives install solely for file storage. I would like to get rid of that pc and just have a router with file storage, time machine backup would be nice!

8. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Didn't i just say most of that?

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Time Capsule is a pretty nice product. I'd get that. I use it for backing up multiple PCs and the only real complaint is that the first backup is slow. But that's a one time pain. After that, it's really nice.

Get the 500GB version and use that for your backups. Then if you want additional storage, you can just plug more drives in.

10. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I didn't think so, or I wouldn't have said anything. I'm sure you're not suggesting that I'm not allowed to offer my own thoughts when someone asks a question. Since your point doesn't really relate to the original question, I'll stop here.

11. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for all the responses this is what I needed for suggestions! spaceballl sounds like you have a time capsule. Do you have any regrets? Just in the nature of a forum you hear nothing but complaints, which I have read a ton of them for the newly released mbp. The only thing I wish different with the mbp I bought was I didn't wait so long!!! I absolutely love it! I am not worry so much about space, more having great wireless, but I can see the benefit of having the HD and AEBS separate. Just nice to hear something positive about the TC. I knew or can understand its slow on the initial backup. I am 80% concerned with having good network speed(gigabit)/signal(wireless) 20% having backups. With TC I am wanting part of it to run my mbp time capsule and the other to be solely file storage for my mbp and desktop pc. Is this possible?

12. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yep

13. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks! Now it comes down to having the HD and AEBS as one or not. Does the wireless seem to preform about the same on both TC and AEBS?

14. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yep same thing just one has a HDD stuck in the middle