Wireless sync question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jabingla2810, Aug 5, 2011.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

A question for the developers (or Not) that are using IOS 5.

So right now, if I want to get a movie for example, from iTunes onto my iPad, I connect via USB, and under the movies tab, I tick the box next to the movie I want to sync over, and click sync.

Or if i'm manually managing my media, I just drag the movie onto the iPad tab in the left hand column in iTunes.

Right, so now, with IOS 5, how do I get that movie onto my iPad with wireless sync?

Do I need to go to my PC, tick the box of the movie, and click sync?

Do I need to have my iPad plugged into power for this happen?

Or is it possible to do this all from the iPad itself?

In an ideal world, I would like to open up my movies on my ipad via home sharing, and then save it for offline viewing. But i'm not sure if it works like that.... or maybe it does, and i've got nothing to worry about.

Thanks

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

You have to go about it the same way: go to your computer, check the box on the movie you want then hit sync. It's similar to the previous workflow except this time it's wireless and doesn't need to be on power.

3. jabingla2810 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok thanks for the clarification.

Seems like a missed opportunity, having to go back to the pc and what not, considering other apps have managed to do it.

Im sure it will improve though :)

4. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

You can trigger the sync from either iTunes or your iPad. Additionally you will also get an auto sync when your iPad is connected to power and goes to sleep.

5. jabingla2810 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok, but to sync new content, you have to go to your computer?

Thats the only reason I sync, I dont know why else I would want to sync, if it isn't to get different songs, playlists and movies onto my device.

Im sure being able to do this from the device will come though!

6. shandyman Suspended

well you only have to do it from the computer if you manually manage your music and video. if it's set to auto sync, then all you have to do is manually sync from the device or if it's over night, the device will auto sync with itunes when charging off the wall.

with stuff that's not iTunes compatible content, that i use VLC for on my iPad/iPhone, i just remote desktop into my PC from the device, drag and drop into the device via file sharing on itune just like if i was plugged in :)

7. Aadi93 macrumors newbie

The new feature that iOS5 has introduced is that you can use wireless connection and your Ipad doesn't have to be on power. Except that, you have to do sync in exactly the same manner as you did in the previous operating system. [​IMG]