Wireless Sync ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CosmoPilot, Sep 15, 2011.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

For those running the latest beta, is wireless syncing enabled? If so, how does it work if you have a family using the same computer with different logins? Will wireless syncing work for all? I'm assuming the night time syncing over wi-fi is directed at backing up to a computer.

Also, with Apple advertising the ability to not need a computer does that mean some sort of Cloud based backup is utilized that will back up everything? In otherwords, playlists, app data, etc?

2. saving107, Sep 15, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

When you upgrade for the first time to iOS 5 you are greeted with the new Welcome screen, during this process you are asked if you want to back-up your iDevice with your computer or with iCloud.

3. charliecc macrumors regular

As well as iCloud syncing, your phone can now wirelessly sync with your iTunes, so no more plugging it in. This is a manual process though.

4. tann macrumors 68000

So if you backup to iCloud you can't backup to itunes also?

What if like you go on holiday with your laptop and don't have internet access to do the backup will it backup to itunes if you plug it into the computer?

5. Krandor macrumors 6502

For backups, that is done via iCloud and yes, if you turn on iCloud backup it stops backing up to iTunes. This is just the backup piece not the sync piece.

Now for wifi syncing, it works similar to manual syncing. iTunes will see each iPhone or iPad separately so you can set the settings for each one individually. When you sync it will know it is "Bob's iphone" or "Suzy's iPhone". Basically what you see in itunes is under devices you will see all the devices setup for wifi sync as if they were plugged into iTunes so with multiple iphone in a family you would see multiple iphones under devices. WiFi syncing can be done manually and it is also automatically kicks off a wifi sync when you plug it into power for charging.

6. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

What if I physically plug in the iPhone to iTunes? Will I be able to make an iTunes backup if I am already using iCloud to backup? I'm just so paranoid about making backups about my stuff so I'd like the option to backup to my MBP and iCloud.

7. shandyman Suspended

you can still backup to iTunes, you just have to do it manually if you have iCloud backup enabled.

8. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

This is wrong. At start-up you are asked if you want to set up as new iPhone, restore from iCloud or restore from iTunes. When you add an iCloud account you can switch on iCloud backup as an option (default is off)

----------

I think the phone will do an automatic sync with iTunes when it's plugged in, on wi-fi and goes to sleep.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You are correct that I'm wrong.

When I set-up my iPod touch with iOS 5 I thought it did ask me that, but this morning I did some research and realized that it actually doesn't. My mistake.

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

That's fine. I don't mind doing it manually, as long as I still have the option.

11. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

So if you turn on cloud backups, when does it back up? Does it backup anytime something has changed, and finally does it back up everything?

12. shandyman Suspended

It backs up when plugged in and screen is off. Like overnight.

It backs up everything unless you disable apps from doing so.