Wireless Syncing between iPod and laptop?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by celticpride678, Feb 15, 2009.

1. celticpride678

Can anyone tell me how to wirelessly sync an Ipod Touch with an XP laptop. Is it possible? Has anyone made a program? Working on it? Can anyone make a basic program? I just think with the tech being used, it can support wireless syncing! Thanks!:)

Anyone??

2. linden macrumors regular

linden

Hey,

As of what I know. It is not possible with the iPod touch 2g or the iPhone 3g. But Im guessing in the next version of either items it will happen,Just not today my friend.

-There you have it.

3. muldul macrumors 6502

Sorry, no. Only that wannabe iPod (you know the zune) sports this feature. But lets hope for the future, because it would be cool and useful.

4. Sysbase macrumors member

Sysbase

Nope but your problem should spark some developers heads!:eek:

5. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Can any application be developed to do this. Or does an entire new product have to be made.

6. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

I would assume that it would take an entirely new product because the hardware support isn't there. Unless of course Apple has something up their sleeve with bluetooth, or if they used wifi.

I'm hoping that soon enough we will be able to use the internet to instantly sync music, movies, contacts, calendars, photos, etc. Email is there and calendars and contacts are getting closer. Its just a matter of time before everything can be synced wirelessly.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No... the hardware support is there (why on earth would they use anything other than WiFi or Bluetooth?). There's no fundamental reason an 802.11 ad hoc network could not be created for this purpose (e.g. the way that AirMouse communicates with the computer), or of course in principle Bluetooth also.

It's the API's or driver properties generally that are not there. On the 802.11 side, Apple would have to create this ability in software on the iPhone and then create the syncing software on both sides. For Bluetooth an additional bluetooth profile in the stack would probably also be necessary.

So, basically, it could be done readily enough but it would be almost impossible (require extensive hacking) for it to be done by anyone other than Apple directly....