wireless syncing for future iphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FortWorthMac, Feb 28, 2009.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Since this is a "macrumors" website something I've been thinking about for a future iPhone is wireless syncing, via WiFi of course.

What do you, the masses think the odds are that a future iPhone would incorporate something like that? Would there be security issues that might keep apple from incorporating it.

The less cables I have on my desk the better.

Just wondering.

Thanks
    David

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

It could probably come to future iPhones with wireless N perhaps.
    But I don't know maybe they have tested it in labs and it's slow or unstable?

3. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

iPhones with Wireless N adapters + City Wide Wireless N Wi-Fi = The Unimaginable.

4. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

the ability to sync wirelessly is something that should have been included with the 1st iPhone. If they don't add this to the 3.0 update then they are missing out on a huge opportunity. Even if it is slow they could always recommend using the cable.

I think the only reason why they didn't include it is because it would cause more strain on the battery, and everyone hates the current battery as it is.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, being at my computer is a chance to charge. So not only would I be losing that charging time, I'd be accelerating the drain while I'm at home!

Then I go out later that night and my phone dies.

Who would use this feature?

6. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Wifi synching would be great! This would allow me to charge my iPhone upstairs yet still synch with my computer downstairs. I'd definitely use this feature!

7. petemwah macrumors regular

surely this already exists in the form of mobileme? i never really need to plug my iphone into my computer as contacts/calendars and bookmarks automatically sync over the air.

although i'm guessing you mean media... :)

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This why they're not rushing on this issue. Why make something for free that they currently charge for?

I'm sure he does, which makes it even sillier. Why would I sit and wait for 5 minutes when I could plug in and do it in 1?

9. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Yes, but, it costs $99/year to use it.

If the phone is sitting on a table charging, what does it matter if it takes 5 minutes to synch instead of 1? If I'm in a hurry, then I can plug it into the computer, but, at night, the phone just sits there charging, so, I don't care if it takes 30 minutes to synch.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The O.P.'s entire reason for doing this was so that he'd have less cables on his desk. In that case he wouldn't be charging the phone since there's no cable.

I realize you have different ideas on how this should all work, but I'm specifically trying to respond to HIS idea since he's the one that started the thread.

And his idea is that he's at his computer, not plugged into anything, with his phone syncing.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm all for the idea, but it's not a deal-breaker. It would obviously take longer than a 400Mbps USB connection, but hopefully an 802.11n version will be released maybe next year -- just in time for the infinitely faster USB 3.0 standard to hit.

12. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I would. I usually charge my phone elsewhere and have to go and get the cable out of the charger. Not everything syncs with Mobile Me.