Wireless tether to any device (hotspot) (vzw iphone)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mo25, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mo25 macrumors member

So I was reading that one of the benefits of JB is that you get free wireless thether instead of paying $20/month to vzw. I looked up mywi but it seems as though this only does hotspots for idevice to idevice. I need a hotspot for my netbook and was wondering if there was an app or a way to do it out there (a wireless method).

2. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Look into TetherMe. As of now, the program enables native tethering (bluetooth and usb) on AT&T iPhones. I don't know if the developer is working on enabling it for Verizon iPhones.

MyWi will do idevice to non-idevice. It's $20...TetherMe is $2.

3. mo25 thread starter macrumors member

So was I wrong in reading that MyWi will only do a wireless hotspot for idevices?

I need a wireless tether me doesn't seem like it would work out for me.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I wasn't aware that it didn't work on the Verizon iPhone. Is that correct? If not, TetherMe is easily the way to go.

Correct, MyWi originally was just a hotspot. The newest addition is MyWi On Demand and it just turns off the radio when put into sleep on the iDevice in use.

MyWi will do exactly what you want, wifi tethering.

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

TetherMe does not yet work on Verizon phones, dev says that Ver phones use a different signature and is working on a fix. Right now MyWi is it.

I will say that I have a friend with an iPad Wifi, and he got the ondemand, and that it works VERY well. I was very impressed. There is no need to but a 3G ipad, saving hundreds of dollars. And the battery drain is minimal. Needless to say I am impressed with this new feature.

6. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

You can also try PDANet, it's free in Cydia and works great. (At least for me)

7. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I don't think anyone is directly answering the OP's question... does MyWi only work from iDevice to iDevice? Or can MyWi serve as a hotspot for any laptop or any other device using a wireless connection?

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

We did just not very clear I'll admit. It works with any device that can use ad-hoc mode. That's pretty much any computer. It won't tether to a PS3 or XBox though.

9. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Cool thanks. I just want to use it for my iPad and my Windows 7 laptop.

For a PS3 or 360, you could just tether to a laptop and then "share" the computer's internet connection and connect it to the PS3 or 360 with an ethernet cable.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

As kre62 said, MyWi On Demand works really well and will make your iPad's battery last longer.

11. mo25 thread starter macrumors member

Is it wireless?

12. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Yes. there is a trial, though. Post-trial you will have access to the internet only over port-80. (still wireless)

13. mo25 thread starter macrumors member

Would this mean I wouldn't be able to access other programs i.e. Aim, utorrent etc?

14. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Will Wortel come up with a commcenter patch for 4.2.6?

That would be the free method that has worked so well on AT&T up to 4.2.1.

15. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

MyWi and PDANet make hotspots to laptops on my ATT iPhone, gives those a try

16. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Just wait. TetherMe already enables it natively on 4.3, and apparently the release coming down the pipe today will enable it on Verizon. 2.99 vs 19.99

17. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

Been working with the Tetherme developer on the software for the verizon iphone and this is the email I received today.

"I got myself a device and it should work - watch for an update on Cydia

Sam"

18. Wateroksnmud macrumors regular

19. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Just downloaded the update. Tethering my iPad to my iPhone to type this. Worth the two bucks!!