Wireless tethering:

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by evilgreg, Apr 6, 2010.

1. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

Hey guys, I'm the proud owner of a brand spanking new /white/ iPhone 3GS. I moved to AT&T from VZW and a droid (this phone is MILES ahead of android in terms of OS usability-especially since I have a Mac, the syncing is seamless).

I got really lucky and the phone was a 3.1.2 (bought it a few days ago) so I was able to JB (tethered). I started playing around and tried out MyWi for the wifi tethering and it worked awesomely with my MacBook.

Here's my question:

I noticed that under settings>general>network, I have an internet tethering option that uses USB or Bluetooth. Is this a hack that was enabled inadvertantly through something I did in the jailbreak process, or is this an AT&T feature that I will be charged extra for using? I'm curious because this seems like a cleaner approach since it's built into the OS.

Thanks guys!

2. luvu01 macrumors regular

its a hack. att might know if you use it for too long. they will chaged you extra for using it.

3. evilgreg thread starter macrumors regular

evilgreg

Really? Can they really tell? How would they know if someone is using the hack method vs. something like MyWi, or would the same rule apply?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The times I've tethered, I noticed the bill had a different denotation for the data (I forget what exactly). So, I suppose they could with the tethering hack. For MyWi, I'm not sure how they'd know.

5. luvu01 macrumors regular

well i have not tried but i research a little and i found this link for you
    http://forum.tipb.com/iphone-jailbreak-unlock/181587-mywi-tethering-app-will-t-charge-you.html
    the charge might apply if you use it for over 5gb a month according to the link

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

7. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

yeah miwi is pretty sweet. I was wondering though how do you tether your wifi, or is it just limited to network only tethering? :eek:

8. luvu01 macrumors regular

well ok. then nvm

9. evilgreg thread starter macrumors regular

evilgreg

You seem knowledgable, how often do you tether? How much data do you use? What makes you think the soft cap is a myth?

Coming from Verizon, there was the same fear, but I heard tons of stories of people using their tether as their main internet, and going well over 5GB, but never hearing a peep from Verizon. I used wifi tethering myself on the droid and it worked quite well. I was just unsure of how AT&T operates.

I highly doubt I'd go near 5gigs anyway, I'm thinking about using it when I travel for business.

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Didn't mean to offend, but we've discussed the soft cap forever on this site. That limit applies to other devices, but has never been shown to apply to the iPhone. Anyway, I was saying that AT&T "could" see tethering if they wanted to, but I don't think it's prevalent enough for them to care about, YET. They'll obviously want to charge for tethering at some point, but they're not even ready to offer tethering (probably because that would overload their network).

IDK what you're asking. When you open MyWi, you essentially create a wifi hotspot. So, anyone can get on, unless you set a password.

See the above response to luvi01. Trust me, we've argued that issue to death on here. Just search for "soft cap tethering." My source of info is that there is no source for a cap. What people are doing is using the soft caps for other devices and assuming they apply to the iPhone. The contract is clear, they don't.

11. Mindgames macrumors member

What do u mean "tether your wifi"? there is really 2 ways to tether with mywii. Using it as a hotspot "wifi tethering", and apple tethering (usb/usb+bluetooth/bluetooth)

12. evilgreg thread starter macrumors regular

evilgreg

Thanks for the response, it's interesting how this exact debate is constant over in various Verizon-phone based forums as well.

13. himni macrumors regular

I use tethering M-F for 6 hours a day at work and have exceeded 5GB on multiple occasions and have never been charged. Before I JB my iPhone I used a second line I have and used it for tethering and used the same amount of data and was never charged either.

I typically use 3-4GB and in March I used 6.25GB.

14. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

same with me, ive been tethering everyday for the last 4 months, with no extra charges. i use it 24/7, i dont have internet at home, this is all i used, ive gone well over 5gig, that is a myth. screw att, tether away. thank you apple!!