Wireless transfer speeds?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ggulliver, Aug 15, 2012.

1. ggulliver macrumors member

I'm considering buying a wireless NAS for backup, but am concerned by what some consider to be unreasonably slow transfer speeds.

I'm non-tech and struggle to understand much of this stuff, so hopefully I can explain this well enough.

If I've understood things correctly, even though wireless (300Mbps) will only transfer at approx two-thirds of USB2 (480Mbps), the likely rate is 30 MB/sec and so a 1gb file should transfer in approx 30 seconds plus some extra time for the drives to handle things - a total of maybe approx 45-60 seconds.

So, from a practical viewpoint, the slower transfer doesn't seem to be a big problem. Or have I gotten this completely wrong?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

300Mbps is under absolutely ideal lab conditions with the devices basically sat on top of each other. Try and find some real-world tests. I suspect the real speed will be half that or less.

3. WesCole macrumors 6502a

With my Airport Extreme, I usually only get ~6-9 MB/sec...

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

for file transfers inside my network, I normally get around 11 MB/s, maybe 14 in short bursts.

on a retina MBP, and linksys e4200 - 5GHz- 802.11n.

if you've got older G wireless, expect it to be around 1-2 MB/s

USB should be around 25-30 MB/s

at 11MB/s a 1GB file should take about 1:42.
    Speed calculator

5. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

I average around 10 using current-model Extremes. The first backups (using a combination of Time Machine and SuperDuper!) are painful but after they complete I find that the subsequent, incremental backups are fine and happen in the background (or at night) without me even noticing.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

small update...

i've been using dd-wrt on my linksys. the wireless has been been a bit flakey (as was noted in the dd-wrt forums), had to reboot every day or 2 when the wireless dropped out.
    Just reverted to factory firmware, I'm getting 33 MB/s up and down (yes big B, not little b), in the same room, about 5-10 feet away from the router. using both activity monitor during a file transfer, and using black magic disk speed test to read/write to a network drive.

this is 5GHz N, wide channel.