Wireless - Ugh

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Doju, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

My wireless is incredibly flaky on this Alu MB 2.4. It works for five minutes, it won't for ten. My PCs work fine, as does my iPhone. What can I do to help the MB? It's rendering it practically useless.

I went to network diagnostics, no problems detected. Apple Hardware Test ... no problems detected.

I went to Network Assistant, and ironically, when it says port configuration, it won't allow me to click external modem, which is what we use (an AirLink Router is an external modem, right?). Why can't I click what I use? >_>

Attached Files:

2. Delameko macrumors member

External modem means a modem that’s directly connected to you MB (by cable) but external.

To connect wirelessly you'll be using the Airport card, so choose that option.

Someone with more network experience will have to help beyond that, everything just connected for me - typed in my router username and password and that was it.

Have you correctly configured you router, set up proper security, correctly added your wireless network and your username/password?

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If the other computers work fine, some simple and effective steps might be in order. First, check in your network preferences for the AirPort settings. Are you getting a 169.254.x.x address? If so, your computer is just talking to itself, its not getting an address to the internet. Power cycle the modem and the router, i.e. unplug both from the wall. If the router still has lights on it, its got a battery backup, yank that sucker. Reconnect the modem, then the router. Wait for the lights to stabilize or at least turn green. If your Mac still is getting a 169.254.x.x address, either restart it or create a new location by going to the Location dropdown and adding a new location. Click apply in the lower right corner. You should now get an IP address and the subnet/router information should auto-fill. See if Safari shows any websites. If you are getting an IP and "connected" according to the AirPort menu, check if your ISP has provisioning (described further here). The article pertains to AirPort base stations but may also apply to the Mac's hardware address found in Network Utility.

4. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

How do I get to the airport setting thing in the first bit? Am I there? See screenshot below.

Attached Files:

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

On the main Network preferences pane, after selecting AirPort, to the right you should see the IP address value, and its current status. The screenshot is what you would see after clicking the Advanced button on the window you should be on.

6. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Try the new location step then. If its still flaking out, take the system to an Apple Retail Store, see if you can connect there reliably. If not its probably the wireless card. If yes, it could still be the provisioning aspect since there probably is nothing wrong with the router/modem at this point.