wireless/usb accessories quandry with mobile MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apple.pseudofan, Aug 29, 2011.

1. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

Background situation:
    My wife would like to start taking pictures professionally and we have decided it is time to upgrade our iMac. It is a 2.4 C2D with 4 gig of ram, etc...

But, we'd like to wait until 2012 to get a new one. I offered mine up for sale for $600, thinking it'd never be accepted and it was snatched instantly (coworker). So, now I cannot back out and am going to sell it to him. I plan to wait until the next gen iMac is released to get max bang for buck.

I also have a 2010 MBP i5 15", which I just upgraded the RAM and HDD in.

Here is my current setup: iMac on the desk with Airport extreme hardwired. I have a printer connected to the iMac, which is shared over my network. I have an external 2 TB WD HD connected to the USB on my Airport and both computers can access it.

If I remove the iMac from the equation, how am I supposed to optimize this setup?
    Can I put a hub on the USB port of the Airport and put both the printer and HDD on it? (HDD is partitioned for media storage and Time Machine backup.) Or do I connect the printer to the airport, and have my backups only occur when the laptop is at the desk? Is anyone else running a similar setup that can provide assistance?

All of this will be moot if the wife cannot handle using the MBP (loves the iMac) and i am forced to get the current 27" iMac.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. apple.pseudofan thread starter macrumors regular

Nobody with a similar setup or ideas? How about the USB hub on the airport?

3. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

You can use a USB hub with your Airport Extreme, though just to be secure, I would use a powered hub.

Matt