Wireless USB/Firewire Mic?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bmcgonag, Jul 31, 2007.

1. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

So, I've done a good bit of searching all over the net, and I haven't really found anything useful. I thought maybe you pros would know.

Is there a Wireless USB or Firewire Mic out there that I can use with my MBP?

In this case I prefer USB because I could set up a couple on it to record the audio of my podcasts with garageband on two channels, then overlay it with the video in post.

thanks,

Brian

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

afaik, the only wireless mics are for live sound and film. for studio purposes, the aim is sound quality w/o having to worry about showmanship or the camera seeing the mic.

just not a good idea for the studio.

3. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'm not sure I understand your answer completely, but is AFAIK the only one? I'm looking for something like they use on police units where you have a batterypack/transmitter, and a lapel extension mic. Then a receiver that would plug into the USB port. I make a video Podcast, and would like to try a mic over the built in camera audio. We have to stand a good distance from the camera for the video part, so getting the audio to pick up over background noise is difficult.

Thanks again,

Brian

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

oh, i missed the part that you were doing audio for video. yes, there are a number of wireless lavs kits from which to choose. the only brand i've used is Lectrosonics, and have had good luck with them, though they're a little pricey.

those kits don't include mic pre's or a/d conversion, you'll have to add that separately.

for the lavs, your choices are UHF and VHF. i try to use the UHF when i can, but that may be an old and now irrelevant bias. give B&H a call and see what they recommend.

and when you can get away with using the lavs wired instead of wireless, do it. it's easier to get good sound.

5. bmcgonag thread starter macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Awesome, Thanks