Wireless USB hub for printer and external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Submerged06, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Submerged06, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

Submerged06 macrumors newbie

Hey guys -- I'm looking to find something that will let me connect a single USB printer and a USB external hard drive (used by Time Machine) wirelessly to my Mac. The main criteria I'm looking for are:

1) As above, able to connect to both a USB printer and USB hard drive.
    2) Can connect to my Macbook (Mid-2007) with either a (small) USB plug, bluetooth (preferred), or over a wireless network.
    3) I do not need to access the printer/HD with more than one computer (I've read that can be an issue sometimes).
    4) I do not need it to be a router, per se, merely a USB hub. I guess it could be a router, though, if it's cheaper?
    5) Auto-connect would be great, but it's okay if I have to plug into a USB dongle or re-start a bluetooth connection.

I think the Airport Extreme would do the trick, but it's rather expensive and seems more for a business setting with dozens of users. I just want a 10-foot wireless thing for simply convenience (and so Time Machine can back up automatically all the time).

I'm aiming for less than $100 -- especially if there's something more around $50. But my research thus far has been a bit confusing and inconclusive, so I could use your help :).

Thanks!
    - Alex

EDIT: Actually, having looked around, I now found a refurbished Extreme for $101 (s/h & tax included). That's good enough for me :). It's over here if anyone else is interested, seems to be a legit site: http://www.n1wireless.com/Apple-Apple_AirPort_Extreme_Base_Station_Access_Point.html (I sent it in as a submission on the main page :D).

2. Laity macrumors newbie

Same sort of problem...

But no printer. Is there any product that will let me link my external HD to my Macbook? The Extreme would be ideal but I'm not free to swap it out and it is only a matter of time before the HD gets knocked off of it's position and ends up in a hundred pieces :confused:

Simple and cheap are always ideal!

3. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

using my APE with a Canon printer and a Lacie hard drive (USB). Used a Belkin USB hub so they are both online. Little finicky on order (here's a good thread).

Seamless access for two Macs and a W7 system.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

This is what I did, worked fine for me.