Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Key to the uptake of the new technology is ease of use. Bluetooth has turned off many users due to compatibility problems, but USB is well understood and some analysts rate it as the most successful interface in the world.

Opinions?

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/41049.html

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
wdlove said:
Key to the uptake of the new technology is ease of use. Bluetooth has turned off many users due to compatibility problems, but USB is well understood and some analysts rate it as the most successful interface in the world.

Opinions?

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/41049.html

BT is too slow but I think we are talking 5 years or more to get enough market penetration of new wireless standards to have any signficant effect.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
aswitcher said:
BT is too slow but I think we are talking 5 years or more to get enough market penetration of new wireless standards to have any signficant effect.

Are you referring to a Mac? The article talks about this technology being on products by Christmas.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
wdlove said:
Are you referring to a Mac? The article talks about this technology being on products by Christmas.

BT is pretty ubiquitous. USB wont do much for the millions of phones and pdas on the market which is where BT really works due to low power and short range.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Bluetooth is a weird technology - its cool but USB is much better.

The only bluetooth device I would get is when i get a 12" pb a bluetooth mouse because the USB is on the left and im a righty.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
What type of range does Wireless USB have?

"Wireless USB is designed to be used at ranges of less than 10 meters and will allow peak data speeds of 480 mbps." (from the article) So it's much high bandwidth than BT, but must use far more power. Still no high fidelity compact wireless headphones. Darn.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
dotdotdot said:
Bluetooth is a weird technology - its cool but USB is much better.

The only bluetooth device I would get is when i get a 12" pb a bluetooth mouse because the USB is on the left and im a righty.
Just use another type of mouse. Two button mice are much more useful to.

rasp

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Easthampton, MA
widespread in under a year? haha nice one.

Dell still shipps ps2 keyboard and mouse with new towers. and USB has been around how long? :)

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
rasp said:

Dell still shipps ps2 keyboard and mouse with new towers. and USB has been around how long? :)

Yeh, but I'm pretty sure that the PS/2 has something to do with the bios settings or something, i'm not sure though... I don't use it...

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I for one think that BT will remain on products that don't need the massive bandwith that USB Wireless provides (ie phones, PDAs, mouses, keyboards, etc.). I think that USB Wireless will be great for cutting cable clutter. Just pop in an adapter in your printer/external hard drive/iPod, plug one into your computer and voila...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Do we really need another wireless standard. We already have 802.11, Bluetooth, and soon to be Wireless Firewire. Each one serves a need I don't see Wireless USB needs to compete against.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Lacero said:
Do we really need another wireless standard. We already have 802.11, Bluetooth, and soon to be Wireless Firewire. Each one serves a need I don't see Wireless USB needs to compete against.

What do you mean "soon to be wireless firewire"? I feel like wireless USB has a much better chance of taking off faster than FireWireless.

FireWire 800 will never get anywhere, so I'm not too sure about the future for Firewire. They were supposed to get to firewire 1600 and 3200, but now... who knows.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Lacero said:

I think Bluetooth is a sort of sucky technology. It's a step in the right direction, but it's not quite there yet. Bluetooth mice, for example, don't response as well as USB-based or wireless RF-based mice do. Like the lineup of ethernet, USB and Firewire I think we'll have a lineup of wireless that are respectively 802.11, Wireless USB and Wireless Firewire.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
noel4r said:
Great, I just bought a Apple Bluetooth keyboard this afternoon. Figures.... Oh well, it works great so no regrets.

We will just have to work the current technology that we have. It works, so we can enjoy.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
Originally Posted by rasp

Dell still shipps ps2 keyboard and mouse with new towers. and USB has been around how long?

The only reason that Dell still ships PS2 keyboards and mice with thier machines is basically because they now cost pratically nothing to produce.

They are cheap!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.