Wireless version of Apple Keyboard w/Numeric Keypad

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple!Fre@k, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

Can someone explain to me why Apple has refused to make a wireless version of their full size keyboard with the numeric keypad? Their wired version is great, but I can't stand wires. When my full size white Apple keyboard went to the sandbox in the sky last year, I dropped $120 for a brand new one I found online (high price thanks to the fact Apple didn't make them anymore then), and now that one has just taken a dump -- I spilt literally three drops of water on it and the space bar stopped working completely.

Now I'm stuck with Apple's micro wireless keyboard until they come out with the full size wireless one - if ever.

What gives? Why can't Apple just make a wireless version of the full size? I don't even care if it were $100, I'd buy it.

2. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

I may just suck it up and go with the wired version. Anyone know how long the USB Extension Cable is that Apple includes with the wired keyboard?

Since it's Apple, I'm figuring it's like 3 inches (about the size of the cable they included with the wired mighty mouse :rolleyes:).

Will need about 6 feet in total cord length so would be good to know if the cord it comes with is only 2 feet and it comes with a 2 foot extender.

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

You can use any USB extender; it just may not be as pretty. :) When I had my Mac Mini, I had to use an extender - just your basic gray USB cable.

EDIT: Let me clarify that... you COULD use any extender with the white keyboards. I can't say for sure about the aluminum, but I can't imagine why you couldn't...

Personally, I prefer a wired keyboard. Why, you ask? ;) When I use a bluetooth one, the iMac always wakes up from sleep when the keyboard goes off to save battery (same for the mouse). My solution: turn off wake up on bluetooth and use a wired keyboard. Then I can just hit the keyboard, rather than having to reach around back and hit the power button. Has anyone else experienced this? I was NOT using an Apple keyboard - it was the Rocketfish bluetooth kb from BB.

4. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Not with the magic mouse or my MS BT Notebook 5000 mouse.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Hmm... it happened with both my BT mighty mouse and a rocketfish BT mouse. Not really a big deal - I just turned off the wake on BT option.

I quite using the keyboard some time ago (because it was crazy-slow to reconnect after waking from sleep).

6. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I wanted this 9 months ago, I dont think its going to happen!!

7. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Why don't you get one of the older full sized bluetooth apple keyboards again? I honestly don't see them making a newer model bluetooth one. The one they have had for a while now and don't show any signs of a larger one.

8. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

apple's going to tell you how many buttons you need and you're going to like it

9. Mickyo macrumors newbie

Magic mouse

I thought that they were going to make a keyboard with a trackerpad like the macbook pro has. It would be much better than the magic mouse.

Mickyo

10. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

IMO a giant, bluetooth trackpad with a row of programmable buttons on the bottom would be way cooler.

But Apple doesn't do buttons.

11. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Are you completely against other brands? I got a Logitech DiNovo Mac edition from Macmall for $40 brand new.

12. gadgetmacfreak macrumors member

This happens to me with Microsoft Wireless Mouse 8000.

13. bdeitemeyer macrumors member

I have also wondered the same thing, a wireless numeric aluminum keyboard from Apple...wake up Apple!

14. mddharma macrumors regular

Here, Here!

Couldn't agree more that Apple needs to make a wireless keyboard with numeric pad!:mad:

15. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I wouldn't mind a stand-alone numeric keypad so I could stow it when I wasn't using it.

16. ph1551 macrumors newbie

apple full wireless keyboard

I just purchase a full size wirelss keyboard from craiglist (new in box) model # A1016 . Is this what you are talking about. It looks just like the wired verson with no usb hub.

17. ph1551 macrumors newbie

full size wireless keyboard

I just purchase a full size wireless keyboard from craiglist, and it looks just like the usb verson that came with my Imac , without usb hub. I just got it working with system 10.5.8 but could not get it to work with 10.6.2.

18. ph1551 macrumors newbie

full size wireless keyboard

I just purchase a full size wireless keyboard from craiglist, and it looks just like the usb verson that came with my Imac without usb hub. the model # is A1016 made by apple. ,. I just got it working with system 10.5.8 but could not get it to work with 10.6.2.

19. Amarq09 macrumors newbie

Why do you need your keyboard to be wireless?