Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
I have a problem, at school we "found" an old video mixer that can handle multiple live video feeds, it was meant for live editng when we have programs in the auditorium and are using multiple cameras. However as it was old when it was bought it was retitred because our Auditorium doesnt have any cables through the walls or under the ground. Because of this it would take large, long cables to hook up the multiple cameras to the back of the auditorium; where the mixer would be located.

My question: Is there a type of wireless video feed that had a transmitter and a reciever (that can be used on multiple frequencies because of the multiple camreas) that we can purchase that could help us get rid of these extra-large cords?

digitalprimate

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
It depends on what quality you want to retain, I think... Some FM-technology should be possible, but expect occasional from other electronic devices. Also it might be possible that when people walk in front of your receivers or transmitters your signal might be lost for a moment.

There are these camping receiver-transmitters or those for in-house use.
Maybe you can grab one off ebay and see if that works. These have dipswitches for different frequencies.

My general advice is that these are good for live-screening, by which I mean that you show this immediately to a projector screen. Not for recording it to save it later on IMO.

digitalprimate

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
Texas04 said:
I see... I had found these links... but after seeing these 999 prices... i am getting a big skeptical
What do yall think?

Well television production IS expensive... certainly Live transmission, which is basically what you want to do.

I was talking more of these, they are the home-version of the professional stuff, but the downsides I described apply here.
This is an example

There are tons of companies and models out there and I bought a pair on ebay for $80.

I think the safest solution in your case is still the cable option. It will give you the best quality at a reasonable price...

EDIT: I see we meant the same thing... :)

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
It all depends what you are trying to do with the video you shoot. The $99 systems are for sending a video signal to a TV in another part of your house. You could use them in a TV studio situation but the picture quality will be quite poor & the transmitter signal will not be as powerful or robust as the pro system, so you will suffer more from interference from other radio signals / mobile phones / people walking between the transmitter and receiver etc.

With the pro systems you are talking $1000 per camera, unless you are shooting with a live roaming camera, you would be better off with cables & a bit of ducting or even some gaffa tape

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.