Wireless vs cable mouse/keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tjohanne, Dec 3, 2007.

1. tjohanne macrumors member

Hoping to buy an iMac soon::)

I wonder if there is any difference in use between the cabled mouse (and keyboard) and the wireless one. Is there any kind of delay in the wireless version, or is it exactly the same reaction time? Last time I tried a wireless mouse on an iMac it was really unstable, which worried me.

And how is it with the USB ports on the wireless keyboard?

2. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I always have preferred the wired versions....granted that the wireless option does look nicer as there are no cords....I guess I have never understood the reason to have a wireless keyboard or mouse (other than no cords)...I mean my keyboard never moves and my mouse moves about 8 inches in any one direction...I never have a problem with the cords being to short....I do believe however that the new wireless keyboard comes without a numeric pad...that is a problem for some users....as for response time....I don't really notice a difference...my gf on the other hand swears there is a difference...just depends on what you use the mouse for I guess....

3. pedex macrumors member

Wireless is really nice if your computer is close to your bed.i currently have a wired keyboard and a wireless mouse. For the new iMacs, they made the wire for the mouse really short because they want you to plug it into the keyboard. That wire tends to get annoying to me. The only gripe I have about the wireless mouse is that the batteries make it heavy. Otherwise its great!

4. pedex macrumors member

oh...and if you go wireless, make sure you get rechargeable batteries otherwise you'll spend a fortune in batteries.

5. mheidt macrumors member

I would go for wired as well.
    I had a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse. Together they always interfered. I took away the wireless mouse to have the wireless keyboard on the sofa.
    But then the battery-changing issue got me on my nerves, so that I'm using both wired now.

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

i 2nd that, the wireless mouse just loves batteries, keyboards not too bad ;)

7. IChing macrumors regular

If you always sit at a desk with your iMac then go wired

But I have found the iMac to be semi-portable for around the house, especially the 20'. The design is graceful enough to look great in any room. The absence of cords make the move simple, especially if your printer and external hard drive are hooked up to your apple wireless router. I have removed my big old computer desk and maintain an area now that is 1/5 the size for any extraneous peripheral disks, papers etc.

Before the iMac, I would have never lugged my old PC computer around, it had its place at its designated desk and room in the house. Battery management with the new wireless keyboards and mice have improved 10 fold. I have a G4 powerbook and now just use the iMac in the house in most of those instances.

Like I said, it is dependent on the type of use,(me photos, internet, gaming and writing reports) but wireless extends your world and ease of portability

Each to their own.