Wireless vs. Wired.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by -BigMac-, Apr 18, 2011.

?

Wired vs Wireless Keyboard

1. Wired

38.7%
  2. Wireless

61.3%
  1. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Hi guys,
    Any preference between the wired and wireless keyboards?
    I'm getting this for a Mac Pro and don't necessarily need a 10m range for it, but it wouldn't hurt.

What are your preferances?
    Also is there any latency with the wireless? fps games are quite important..

2. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I was going to say this in your other thread, but if it were me I would just keep the wired one as I much prefer it. Not for the wire, but for the extra keys which I find extremely useful.
    I have both though and have not noticed any latency problems with the bluetooth one. I have heard there may be some issues if you try to hold down a ton of keys at once but this has not been a problem for me.

3. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

haha wow you're on the ball!! :p
    I haven't used the extra keys in the past for many applications, what kind of things do you use them for? I wonder if i will start using them more also if i get wired :)

That's very good news about the latency :)

4. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I like the fact that the space bar is longer. Also the CMD, ALT & CTRL keys on the right are bigger & further along (I have to really contort my hand to use certain Illustrator shortcuts on the wireless keyboard!)
    The numeric keys are obviously great if you have to type in a lot of numbers for a spreadsheet or if you use the calculator widget a lot and the page up/down/etc keys are handy if you do a lot of text editing.
    The only thing I don't like about the wired keyboard is that they have moved the Fn key from the bottom-left corner to the top right. That's just a (weird) personal preference though! :D

5. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

oh thats good then! one disadvantage isn't as bad as i thought :)
    Does the side of the wireless cut into the hand while typing?

Also, i have heard (can't find the thread), that the magic mouse sometimes loses connection if the Mac Pro is placed under the table, could this be a problem with the wireless keyboard?

6. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I suppose it all depends how you hold your hands when you type. It hasn't been a problem for me.

Can't help you with that I'm afraid as I have an iMac!

7. Smalss macrumors member

I find the side USB ports on the wired keyboard to be a nice plus. Use it to plug in my logitech mini transmitter thing for my MX Performance Mouse.

8. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I play COD MW2 via Bootcamp with my wireless keyboard and magic mouse and there is no lag or any issues whatsoever!

Go for it!

9. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If range isn't an issue go for a wireless keyboard.

10. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

There used to be an issue with the Mac Pros Bluetooth aerial, especially on the very first Mac Pros (2006) like mine. However after swapping the aerials (shouldn't be needed on the current Mac Pros) it works fine. I've been using a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard and graphics tablet fine and my Mac Pro is located under the desk for over 5 years with both wooden and glass desks without any real connection issues.

The only time I have problems is when I have some laptops also with Bluetooth running which seems to cause a bit of interference.

I've also played through various games with the wireless keyboard and have never noticed any input lag that I can remember.

The only other thing to consider would be the batteries which will need to be swapped every so often, though I use some decent rechargeable in mine.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Your not supposed to type with their hands touching the computer/Keyboard. All these people that complain their Apple keyboard/MacBook Pro's edges are cutting into them when they're typing don't know how to type properly :p

12. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I'd go with wireless. Yes it does suck when the batteries die and you conveniently seem to have run out of batteries that fit that exact thing in your entire house, however, I'd do anything at this point to get rid of the many wires running across my desk.