Wireless vs Wired

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sahellis, May 26, 2011.

1. sahellis macrumors newbie

Here's my problem. Wireless I get 7MB or so download from the internet. Wired I get 48MB or so. Where are the settings that I can tweak to make the wireless download faster. For Windowz I can tweak the rwin and things of that nature and have done so, but on my Macbook (white) I do not know where to tweak. I also have an older Macbook Pro 17" A1229 with the identical issue. Running OSX 10.6.7
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Speeds attached.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What kind of wireless router do you have? If its a G one, then those speeds are the fastest you can get.

3. sahellis thread starter macrumors newbie

7MB is the fastest I'm going to get from G? G is rated at 54MB. I know that's not what you actually get but I know I should be getting more than 7MB from my Metro E when connected to wireless.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its rated for 54 Megabits. Which equates to about 7 Megabytes.

5. sahellis thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble swallowing that as I've seen faster speed on my PC with wireless. I've seen it up to 25MB. There has to be some TCP/IP stuff on the Mac that is throttling it down.

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

There's not much you can do except buy a better wireless router and better wireless card. Wifi is much slower than ethernet, even though the rated speed is similar.

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

That test is in Mbps not MBps. He should theoretically be able to get up to 54Mbps on that test over Wireless G.

8. Psychomacuser macrumors member

Wireless will always suffer over ethernet or wired.. Wired just works and doesn't require much to get it going. Wireless has problems and isn't beneficial in all areas.