Wireless while travelling

DaveP924

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2006
OK. I'm 43 and helpless. I am planning on taking a trip next week and I want to bring the MacBook Pro with me. I have the Airport Extreme here in the house but I have NEVER tried to connect away from the house.

I have to believe it is simple, but is there something I need to know/do to make it happen. I figured I would just hit a Starbucks, but we are also staying in a condo so maybe I can glom on to someone elses wireless network.

Help an old guy out :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It's very simple. If there is a open wireless network nearby, it will show up under your AirPort icon in your menu bar. Just select it and you're done. :)

PillarFan1

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
many places (hotels, condos, etc) already have wireless installed for each place, so you might check that. if you go to a starbucks you will have to pay to use their internet.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
or you could buy an airport express and take it with you on your travels. I've stayed in hotels that have ethernet, but not wireless. normally fine if you dont mind sitting at a little table with your ethernet plugged in, but if you want to kick it back on the bed, or balcony, or whatever, your gonna need wireless.

airport express, stores multiple config's in it's memory, so you can change to a pre-configured 'hotel' config very quickly and easily..

works well. Also good if your staying with friends in the hotel u can share your wireless, even with the room next door for example. (cheaper to share!)

iSaint

macrumors 603
Ok, I'm as old as you at 43, and I can do it. So I know you can! :D

Macs are so easy when it comes to things like this. When you open your MBP it will find a wireless network if there's one available. Sometimes it takes as long as 30 seconds or more. But it will pop up and ask if you want to join the wireless network it finds.

Trying to get Windows to recognize a wireless network is such a painstaking task. This is one of the many things I brag about concerning OS X.

Have fun with it!

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
wireless OS X

take a look for Kismac, I notice it finds networks right away, under airport it seems it takes a minute or so... Kismac is free and works pretty easy...

DD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.