Wireless - Will this work????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deanops, May 16, 2007.

1. deanops macrumors regular

Hi, spent some time trying to see if my wireless plan will work.........

what speeds will i be getting in both cases?
    how far of a range will i be able to get it??
    is it secure (both)??
    anything else.... never networked before this....

thanks... i think the second one will be much cheaper... but could it be el crappo??

thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ha, I love the graphics.

Either way you're going to need a wireless router if the cable modem doesn't have wireless support. So you'll have to go with the first setup. You don't necessarily need to get an Apple Airport (they're a bit expensive IMO). I am partial to the Linksys routers (WRT54G). Otherwise the range will be decent, probably around 200-500ft depending on obstacles. And for security you just need to setup WEP or WPA which is pretty easy to do.

The second setup wouldn't really work, unless you do an AdHoc setup (bounce your wireless signal from your PC). And yes it will be El Crappo.

Overall, setting up a wireless network is not hard and I highly recommend you do it.

3. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

will 54mbs suffice???

will i even get that...

or should i go with 108mbs???

4. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

also if i do the router method (just found a dlink for $AU99), then will the printer work - it'll be connected to the pc... and do you recommend me putting the internet into the router of the pc??

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

54Mbps be enough?? How many computers are gonna be on this network?? Yes, it will be enough unless you have over 10 computers on the network. The printer will work with any of the routers if the printer is plugged into the PC (or Mac, it doesn't matter).

You put the cable modem internet into the router, and then from the router to the PC and wirelessly to the Mac. And what do you mean by the router of the PC? Is that a typo, cause it makes no sense.

Don't overthink this one man, it really is not too difficult. And pretty much whatever you get will work out just fine.

6. deanops thread starter macrumors regular

yeah typo --- meant to be OR....

cool ill be doing this as soon as i get the mac.....

a grand total of two computers will be on the network!! (possibly more in future)!

thanks for the help... i have made my decision on this router
    http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?Sec=1&Sub1=2&Sub2=5&PID=60

sounds good and is only $AU99!!

thanks again