wireless working but not wired internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alex23, May 4, 2011.

1. Alex23 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm having trouble with my wired internet. I had a technician come check the modem, the cable etc but everything seems to be working. He told me that my Ethernet card is recognized by the computer but it is not activated.

It is as if the card is here but the computer doesn't know what to do with it. I suspect that the driver has been erased.

I've been cleaning up my computer with the software "MacScan" (which cleans up stuff like cookies etc that are related to internet) and maybe it cleaned out something for the card.

Is there a way to reset/reinstall the driver ?
    If that's not the problem, what should be done ?

Thanks for reading !

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I'm assuming your have a MacBook Pro, yes?

Go to "System Profiler" and see if the "Ethernet Cards" show anything connected.

3. Alex23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

Yes the it is found in the System Profiler.

It is written when I go to network preferences : Cable unplugged which is wrong. The cable is plugged and the modem is working as checked by the technician.

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller
    Bus: PCI
    Vendor ID: 0x10de
    Device ID: 0x0ab0
    Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x10de
    Subsystem ID: 0xcb79
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    BSD name: en0
    Kext name: nvenet.kext
    Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/nvenet.kext
    Version: 2.0.15

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Go to "System Preferences > Network" and see if there is an "Ethernet" option on the left side panel. If not, try to hit the "Plus" button on the lower left hand side to create a new Location.

5. Alex23 thread starter macrumors newbie

There is a Ethernet option but it is said "not connected".

Alex

6. jegbook macrumors regular

How many different cables have you tried?

I've found that even though a cable may look fine, there may still be something wrong with it.

One thing is that the plastic fins can get crushed so upon quick glance the connector looks okay but upon closer inspection if even 1 fin is folded over it could prevent the connection.

Might also look into the port on the computer to ensure all 8 contacts in the Ethernet port are there and aligned correctly.