Wireless Xbox 360, Aiport Express, and Airport Extreme help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shinkt, May 23, 2009.

1. Shinkt macrumors newbie

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with setting up my xbox 360 with a xbox-live connection. I am planning on relaying my base station's internet connection to my express. Then connecting my express to my xbox via ethernet. if someone could inform me on the settings, for the xbox, extreme base station, and express, I would greatly appreciate it. thanks

P.S. my friend has done this before so I know it works, i just do not know the seetings on all of the machines.

2. msevild macrumors regular

Well let's start with the Airport Extreme:
    Do a manual setup of the device in airport utility. Under the wireless tab, which is under the airport tab, the wireless mode should be set to Participate in a WDS network. Give your network a name, and password(optional). A new WDS tab should appear next to the wireless tab. WDS mode for the extreme should be WDS main, the allow wireless clients box should be checked. If you have the Airport/MAC address of the express handy you can add it to the WDS remote list now(if not you will need to go back later). Airport extreme: done :)

Now let's manually setup the express. Under wireless, have it participate in a WDS network. Use the same network name and password here of your other network. In the WDS tab the WDS mode of the express will be WDS remote, also check the allow wireless client box, and input the Airport/MAC address of your airport extreme here. Now we will go under the internet tab. Make sure connection sharing is set to off(bridge mode).

I assume everything will be using DHCP, so I am not going to explain that. As far as the XBOX goes, since you are using a wired connection to the express, there are no special configurations, just tell it to connect to the internet using DHCP. Let me know how it goes, hope this little guide helps you.

3. Shinkt thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, that sounds great. Now my only question is about the Airport/mac address. Is this the same as the Apple ID? Also, do I add the extreme's address into the extreme's WDS remotes, or just the express? In addition, I continually get error messages that the apple wireless network is set up to do a WDS network, but no other apple wireless devices were found.